Singapore Premier League • August 16, 2019
Singapore Premier League Week 22: Preview
SINGAPORE, 16 AUGUST 2019 – A massive clash between Tampines Rovers and Albirex Niigata (S) this week – third and fourth respectively – will be watched keenly by leaders Brunei DPMM, who take a break from action. Hougang United will go level on points at the top if they beat bogey side Young Lions, while there is also a Uniformed Derby in store and an opportunity for Balestier Khalsa to move off the bottom. We take a look at the weekend’s matches…
Warriors vs Home | 17 Aug | 5.30 PM | Jurong East | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Warriors will hope to return to winning ways at home when they host their derby rivals, who have lost their last two games. Delwinder Singh is a doubt for the hosts; Home welcome back Abdil Qaiyyim from suspension.
– This will be the 81st edition of the Uniformed Derby.
– Warriors have not won any of their last five encounters against Home, losing three of those.
– Warriors are unbeaten in their last three matches at Jurong East.
– Song Uiyoung has scored in four of his last five games against Warriors, tallying eight goals.
Tampines vs Albirex | 18 Aug | 5.30 PM | Our Tampines Hub | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: With two games in hand on each of the top three sides, Albirex will go third if they win here and close the gap between them and DPMM to four points. Both teams are expected to be near full-strength.
– Tampines have failed to win any of their last 11 games against Albirex, losing 10 of those.
– Albirex are on a three-game win-less streak.
Young Lions vs Hougang | 18 Aug | 5.30 PM | Jalan Besar | fas.org.sg/live2
Team news: Victory for Hougang will see them draw level with DPMM on 38 points. Jordan Vestering and Afiq Noor are suspended for the visitors, while the Young Lions have Zulqarnaen Suzliman ruled out for the same reason. Goalkeeper Zharfan Rohaizad and centre-back Lionel Tan are injury doubts.
– Young Lions have won their last five encounters against Hougang.
– Young Lions are unbeaten in their last three matches at home.
– Stipe Plazibat has scored or assisted in each of his last five games.
Balestier vs Geylang | 18 Aug | 5.30 PM | Bishan | MyCujoo
Team news: Goalkeeper Naqiuddin Nodin is injured for the hosts, while Illyas Lee remains a doubt and Huzaifah Aziz is suspended. Danish Irfan is suspended for the visitors, who have striker Zikos Chua ruled out for the long term due to an anterior cruciate ligament tear.
– Balestier have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last 15 league games, their worst such streak since May 2009.
– Hazzuwan Halim has scored in each of his last two games against Geylang.
– Geylang have scored the most headed goals (10) this season; Balestier have conceded the most (11).