News Singapore Premier League • November 24, 2020
Singapore Premier League Week 13: Preview
Boris Kopitovic (left) has been in good form for Tampines
SINGAPORE, 24 NOVEMBER 2020 – The action in the AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) continues to come thick and fast, with four fixtures scheduled on a bumper Wednesday. Leaders Albirex Niigata (S) are looking to consolidate their lead at the top as they host Young Lions, while the chasing pack of Tampines Rovers and Lion City Sailors face tricky away visits to Hougang United and Geylang International respectively. Elsewhere, Tanjong Pagar are targeting their first win of the season as they go away to Balestier Khalsa. All LIVE on our Facebook page and YouTube channel!
ALSO READ: Week 12 Roundup
Buoyant Jaguars have first win in sight
Balestier Khalsa vs Tanjong Pagar United | 25 Nov | 7.45pm | Bishan | Singtel Ch 111
Faritz Hameed will hope to lead Tanjong Pagar to their first victory
Team news: There are major issues for Balestier in defence, with the dependable Fadli Kamis serving the first of a two-match suspension while young Serbian centre-back Ensar Brunčević is unlikely to be fit yet.
Similarly for Tanjong Pagar, Brazilian centre-back Yann Motta is a possible doubt after coming off early due to injury in Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Tanjong Pagar while attacker Ignatius Ang is already out for the campaign.
- Balestier have won the last five encounters.
- Tanjong Pagar last defeated Balestier in February 2013 – a 3-1 win at Jalan Besar.
- Tanjong Pagar’s last away win against Balestier came all the way back on August 19, 2004 in a 6-0 thrashing.
- Balestier are on a four-game win-less streak since beating Geylang International 3-2 last month.
- Balestier are yet to win at home this season.
- Balestier have scored in the second half in eight out of their last nine games.
- Balestier have conceded the first goal in their last five games, while the same goes for Tanjong Pagar in their last four.
- Tanjong Pagar have no points from their four away games so far, but have scored one goal in each of the last three.
- Tanjong Pagar are still targeting their first win since defeating Harimau Muda B 5-0 in October 2014.
White Swans target a fifth straight victory
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Young Lions | 25 Nov | 7.45pm | Jurong East | StarHub Ch 201
Iman Hakim put up a good display in Albirex’s win against the Sailors
Team news: Albirex have a clean bill of health, with striker Reo Nishiguchi now fit to start again after making his comeback as a substitute over the weekend. As for Young Lions, they welcome back wide man Shahib Masnawi from suspension.
- Albirex have won the last 13 encounters.
- Young Lions have conceded four goals apiece in the last two meetings.
- Young Lions last defeated Albirex in November 2015 when they prevailed 1-0 at Jurong East.
- Albirex have a chance to win five straight games in a season for the first time since April 2018; in fact, they won their first 17 games en route to winning the title that season.
- Young Lions could win two straight games for the first time since winning the first two games of the 2018 season.
Webb-less Stags out to regain winning formula
Hougang United vs Tampines Rovers | 25 Nov | 7.45pm | Hougang | Singtel Ch 113, StarHub Ch 202
Nazrul Nazari will look to inspire Hougang back to winning ways
Team news: Hougang already have strikers Sahil Suhaimi and Naufal Azman ruled out for the season, but midfield hard man Anumanthan Kumar has now recovered from injury and could find himself back in the starting eleven. The Cheetahs will also miss defender Zachary Anderson and midfielder Charlie Machell, with both failing to reach agreements to extend their contracts until the end of the season.
Tampines will have to make do without Jordan Webb as the Canadian talisman serves the first of a two-match suspension, while Syahrul Sazali and Huzaifah Aziz are also out due to National Service and injury respectively.
- The last time the two sides met, Hougang won 2-1 for their first win over the Stags in 11 meetings in all competitions.
- There have been at least three goals in the last five games between the two sides.
- Hougang have not defeated Tampines in the last four meetings at Hougang Stadium since a 4-2 win in April 2014.
- Hougang are yet to keep a clean sheet in the last 25 encounters in all competitions since a 2-0 league win at Hougang Stadium on May 19, 2011.
- Hougang have won just one out of their last six games, while Tampines have drawn in three out of their last four.
- Hougang have kept just one clean sheet from 13 competitive games this season, while Tampines have failed to attain a shutout in their last four.
- Tampines have scored in 30 straight SPL games.
Rejuvenated Eagles eye Sailors scalp
Geylang International vs Lion City Sailors | 25 Nov | 7.45pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 204
Barry Maguire has been in excellent form of late for Geylang
Team news: For Geylang, midfielder Firdaus Kasman is suspended while top scorer Khairul Nizam is a doubt due to a hamstring problem. As for the Sailors, playmaker Saifullah Akbar is suspended but the influential Stipe Plazibat should be available again after missing Sunday’s crushing 3-2 defeat to Albirex due to injury.
- Geylang have lost the last 10 encounters since a 4-1 win over the Sailors’ predecessor Home United in October 2016 – current Sailor Gabriel Quak scored as a substitute for the Eagles, with Yuki Ichikawa and Amy Recha in the starting line-up while Abdil Qaiyyim and Aqhari Abdullah lined up for the opposite side.
- Ichikawa has completed each of Geylang’s last 38 league games – the longest such streak by a current player.
- The Sailors lost on their last visit to the venue – a 4-0 defeat to Tampines back in March.
- The Sailors have scored in the first half for their last four matches and have scored in every game except for that 4-0 loss to the Stags.
- The Sailors have not kept a clean sheet for their last five matches since defeating Young Lions 5-0 last month.
- Geylang have a chance to achieve three straight wins for the first time since August 2019.
- Plazibat has recorded seven goals against Geylang since 2016.
- Shahril has scored in his last five appearances against Geylang (seven goals in total) since 2018.