Singapore Premier League • March 13, 2020
Singapore Premier League Week 3: Preview
UPDATE: All SPL matches to be played behind closed doors. Read HERE.
SINGAPORE, 13 MARCH 2020 – The action comes thick and fast, with two games lined up on Saturday evening. Young Lions will host Balestier Khalsa, while Tampines Rovers entertain Tanjong Pagar United. Hougang United will then welcome Geylang International the following day to round off the weekend.
Can the Young Lions make it three straight wins against the Tigers?
Young Lions vs Balestier Khalsa | 14 Mar | 5.30pm | Jurong West | fas.org.sg/live1, Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 203
Team news: Young Lions coach Nazri Nasir is set to ring the changes after a disappointing 3-0 defeat to Geylang on Wednesday.
As for Balestier, Croatian forward Šime Žužul could return to the starting line-up after he came off the bench for last Saturday’s 2-2 draw against Albirex Niigata (S).
- Young Lions have beaten Balestier 1-0 in each of their last two meetings.
- Young Lions have not lost their first three opening games since 2017.
- Balestier are win-less in their last seven league games – a run that stretches back to August 2019.
- Both sides have yet to win this season after two matches played.
Can the Jaguars survive another huge test?
Tampines Rovers vs Tanjong Pagar United | 14 Mar | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | fas.org.sg/live2, Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: Tampines will continue to miss the services of captain Yasir Hanapi as well as striker Taufik Suparno, who are both suspended. Defender Madhu Mohana is also out due to injury. Coach Gavin Lee may also opt to rest some players, with a huge clash against Lion City Sailors coming up next Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Tanjong Pagar have a largely fit squad to call upon bar midfielder Raihan Rahman, who is still recovering from surgery.
- Tanjong Pagar won the last encounter in August 2014, prevailing 1-0 at the Stags’ old home ground Clementi Stadium courtesy of Sebastian Etiemble’s 45th- minute strike.
- Tampines assistant coach Fahrudin Mustafic captained the Stags in that game, while Tanjong Pagar team manager Noh Alam Shah came on as a half-time substitute against his current side.
Will the Cheetahs win their first two games for the first time?
Hougang United vs Geylang International | 15 Mar | 5.30pm | Hougang | fas.org.sg/live1, Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: English midfielder Charlie Machell is an injury doubt for Hougang, but Fabian Kwok should return to the starting eleven after being suspended for the midweek AFC Cup defeat to Myanmar’s Yangon United.
Shahrin Saberin and Fareez Farhan are serving the second of their two-match suspensions for Geylang, who will also miss Nur Luqman Rahman.
- Geylang have won five and drawn four out of the last 12 encounters between both sides in all competitions.
- Hougang have never won their first two opening league games since their inception in 2011.
- Hougang have not kept a clean sheet in their last 10 games in all competitions since beating Home United 2-0 in September 2019.