News Singapore Premier League â€˘ April 15, 2021
2021 Singapore Premier League Round 7: Preview
Daniel Martens (L) of Tanjong Pagar United holds off Ryhan Stewart of the Young Lions in the SPL, 10 April 2021.
SINGAPORE, 15 APRIL 2021 â€“ We look ahead to another intriguing round in the AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) as Tampines Rovers and Geylang International aim to bounce back in the first Eastern Derby of the season. Elsewhere, pacesetters Albirex Niigata (S) and Hougang United target wins against lower-ranked sides, while third-placed Lion City Sailors take on a gritty Balestier Khalsa outfit. ALL LIVE on our Facebook page and YouTube channel!
READ:Â 2021 SPL Round 6 Roundup
Eagles seek reprieve in Eastern Derby
Tampines Rovers vs Geylang International | 16 Apr | 8.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, Starhub Ch 201
Team news: Tampines have a largely full-strength squad to call upon bar creative midfielder Shah Shahiran, who is ruled out for the rest of the season due to National Service (NS).
On the other hand, Geylang continued to be bothered by personnel issues with young centre-back Adam Hakeem sidelined, while Zikos Chua is away on NS. The on-loan duo of Faizal Roslan and Iqram Rifqi are back for selection after being ineligible to face parent club Sailors in their previous match. Influential midfielder Barry Maguire could be in line for a return from injury as well.
Club news: Geylang – Eagles looking to turn the corner in Derby clash
- Both encounters in 2020 ended in 1-1 draws.
- Tampines have failed to beat Geylang in the last four league encounters since a 1-0 win in March 2019.
- Geylang have won just one of the last 11 encounters in all competitions though – a 2-1 win at Jalan Besar in August 2019.
- There have been no goal-less draws in the last 33 meetings in all competitions since a stalemate at Jalan Besar in July 2010; current Tampines captain Yasir Hanapi came on as a second-half substitute for the Eagles in that game.
- Tampines have scored in their last 40 SPL matches.
- Geylang could go six matches without a win for the first time since September 2018.
Another stern test for Young Lions
Hougang United vs Young Lions | 17 Apr | 8.30pm | Hougang | Singtel Ch 112
Team news: The injuries continue to pile up for Hougang, with Shawal Anuar ruled out for at least a month due to a shin fracture. Fellow forwards Gilberto Fortunato and Shahfiq Ghani are also not fit yet, while Sahil Suhaimi and Nikesh Singh continue their rehabilitation from serious injuries. The experienced duo of Nazrul Nazari and Shahril Ishak are now back in full training, while full-back Faiz Salleh should return after a minor injury.
As for Young Lions, key playmaker Hami Syahin is suspended after accumulating four yellow cards while defensive midfielder Harhys Stewart remains a doubt after missing the last two games through injury. However, Daniel Goh and Bill Mamadou are back in contention after being ruled out by NS commitments the last time out.
- Hougang have won the last three encounters, scoring four on each occasion.
- Hougang have conceded at least one goal against Young Lions in the last eight encounters.
- Young Lions have not kept a clean sheet in their last 21 outings.
- There have been no goal-less draws in the last 38 meetings in all competitions since a stalemate at Jalan Besar in February 2008.
- Philippe Aw returns to Hougang Stadium to face his former side for the first time since being relieved of his duties as Cheetahs coach in June 2018.
Rejuvenated Jaguars eye White Swans scalp
Tanjong Pagar United vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 17 Apr | 8.30pm | Jurong East
Team news: Tanjong Pagar will have to contend without experienced forward Khairul Amri, who joins former national teammate Ridhuan Muhammad on the sidelines with a metatarsal injury. However key defender Delwinder Singh is now fit again and could return to the match-day squad.
Meanwhile Albirex continue to miss out on the services of nippy playmaker Ryosuke Nagasawa due to a dislocated shoulder.
Club news: Albirex – Pre-match interview with Yasuhiro Hanada
- Tanjong Pagar have never won against Albirex in 16 league meetings to date.
- The Jaguarsâ€™ only victory against the White Swans came in a 4-0 thrashing in the 2014 League Cup group stages.
- Tanjong Pagarâ€™s Reo Nishiguchi had scored in this fixture last season for Albirex in a 2-2 draw.
Free-scoring Sailors gun for another win
Lion City Sailors vs Balestier Khalsa | 18 Apr | 8.30pm | Jalan Besar | Singtel Ch 112
Team news: Apart from the injured Haiqal Pashia, the Sailors have a virtually full-strength squad as they look to follow up on last weekendâ€™s resounding 8-0 win over Geylang.
As for Balestier, young centre-back Amer Hakeem and key attacker Hazzuwan Halim are possible doubts due to injuries. However, the good news is that Serbian centre-back Ensar BrunÄŤeviÄ‡ will be available after having his red card against Hougang rescinded.
Club news: Sailors – Diego, defence and development | Diego Lopes determined to push Sailors to new heightsÂ Â
- The Sailors won both encounters in 2020, scoring a total of 12 goals against the Tigers â€“ Saifullah Akbar and Song Uiyoung were on target on each occasion.
- Song have scored in his last three outings against Balestier.
- Sailorsâ€™ Stipe Plazibat have scored six goals in his last three outings against Balestier â€“ he is looking to score in six straight SPL matches for the first time since 2017 when he netted in 11 games in a row.
- The Sailors have scored in their last 18 SPL matches.