Singapore Premier League â€˘ May 18, 2022
2022 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 10: Preview
Lion City Sailors forward Kim Shin-wook is challenged by Tampines Rovers defender Shuya Yamashita, 13 March 2022.
SINGAPORE, 18 MAY 2022 â€“ A huge clash in the AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) beckons this weekend, with champions and leaders Lion City Sailors visiting in-form Tampines Rovers. Elsewhere, stuttering Tanjong Pagar United host Balestier Khalsa while Geylang International look to end their seven-match win-less run when they host Hougang United. ALL LIVE on our YouTube channel and meWATCH!
READ: Matchweek 9 Roundup
Jaguars out to rediscover roar
Tanjong Pagar United vs Balestier Khalsa | 20 May | 7.45pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: Tanjong Pagar will have to rejig their defence with the experienced duo of Faritz Hameed and Aqhari Abdullah ruled out through suspension, while injured pair Shakir Hamzah and Shahrin Saberin continue their road to recovery. The good news is that first-choice custodian Zharfan Rohaizad is ready to return after recovering from Covid-19.
For Balestier, the versatile Aarish Kumar has joined Amer Hakeem on the sidelines due to injury but key defender Delwinder Singh returns from a one-match suspension to bolster their defensive options.
- Tanjong Pagar defeated Balestier for the first time in 10 encounters the last time out in a 5-3 win at Toa Payoh back in March.
- Tanjong Pagar are win-less in their past four matches, while Balestier lost their last two.
- Tanjong Pagar have never won at Jurong East as the designated home team since their SPL return in 2020 in 20 matches â€“ their only two wins at the venue came against Albirex as the â€śawayâ€ť side.
- Tanjong Pagar have not kept a clean sheet in seven matches since the opening-day 2-0 win over Albirex Niigata (S).
- Balestierâ€™s Shuhei Hoshino has scored in each of his last three appearances.
Stags eye opportunity to close the gap
Tampines Rovers vs Lion City Sailors | 21 May | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: Tampines have a largely fit squad to call upon, with the duo of Ryaan Sanizal and Irfan Najeeb set to return for selection after returning from Southeast Asian (SEA) Games duty.
The same goes for the Sailors, who now have Nur Adam Abdullah and Saifullah Akbar back in the fold although Tajeli Salamat remains to be absent to a disciplinary issue.
- Tampines won the first-ever meeting between both sides in March 2020, but have not tasted a win in the subsequent five encounters.
- Tampines are unbeaten in six games since the 1-0 loss to the Sailors in March 2022, while the Sailors have won their last five and are unbeaten in their last seven SPL outings.
- A win for the Sailors will see them equal their best-ever winning streak â€“ six, which was achieved between April to May 2021.
- Tampines are unbeaten in six home matches since the 6-1 defeat to the Sailors in September 2021.
- The Sailors lost on their last visit to OTH in March in a 1-0 defeat to Geylang.
- Tampines are the only teams along with Hougang and Young Lions without a clean sheet this season, while the Sailors have the most with four.
- Tampinesâ€™ Boris KopitoviÄ‡ has scored in each of last six appearances, tallying 11 in total.
Out-of-sorts outfits face off
Geylang International vs Hougang United | 22 May | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: Geylang will be boosted by the return of first-choice goalkeeper Zaiful Nizam from SEA Games duty, while young defender Kieran Teo could make the bench after recovering from Covid-19. However, the trio of Fadli Kamis, Fareez Farhan and Joshua Pereira remains out of action.
Hougang will have Anders Aplin back for selection as he returns from a two-match ban while Nazrul Nazari could make the bench after recovering from Covid-19, but Ridhuan Barudin, Idraki Adnan and Shawal Anuar are still unavailable. The experienced Zulfahmi Arifin is also ruled out for two months after sustaining an injury at the SEA Games.
- Hougang have won the last four encounters since November 2020.
- Geylang have scored at least a goal in the last 11 encounters in all competitions.
- Hougang are win-less in their last eight SPL away matches since a 1-0 win at Young Lions in August 2021.
- Hougang have conceded in their last 16 SPL matches stretching back to August 2021.
- Geylangâ€™s Ĺ ime Ĺ˝uĹľul scored in each of his last five starts against Hougang, while teammate Takahiro Tezuka has scored in all four career appearances against the Cheetahs.
- Hougangâ€™s Pedro Bortoluzo has scored three times in his four SPL starts so far.