Singapore Premier League • June 17, 2022
2022 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 12: Preview
Tampines Rovers ran out 3-2 winners against Geylang International on 2 April 2022
SINGAPORE, 16 JUNE 2022 – The AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) resumes this weekend, with leaders Lion City Sailors looking to consolidate their six-point lead away at Balestier Khalsa. The chasing pack of Albirex Niigata (S) and Tanjong Pagar United hope to close the gap as they host Hougang United and Young Lions respectively, while out-of-form Geylang International will first face Tampines Rovers in the Eastern Derby, before entertaining Young Lions next Tuesday. ALL LIVE on our YouTube channel and meWATCH!
READ: Matchweek 11 Roundup
Stags out to return to winning ways
Tampines Rovers vs Geylang International | 18 June | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 112
Team news: Bar Danish Irfan who is recovering from knee surgery, Tampines are at full strength with captain Yasir Hanapi recovering from Covid-19 in time to make his return from a one-match suspension.
For Geylang, Fadli Kamis remains out for the long-term but loan signing Tajeli Salamat is set to make his Eagles debut on the right side of defence.
- Geylang have won just one out of the last 10 Eastern Derbies at OTH.
- Tampines lost their last two SPL matches, while Geylang are win-less in their last nine.
- Tampines are one of only two teams – along with Young Lions – yet to keep a clean sheet this season.
- Geylang’s Sime Žužul has netted a total of seven goals in his last five outings against Tampines.
- Tampines’ Boris Kopitović has scored in three out of the last four Eastern Derbies.
Jaguars looking to pick up where they left off
Tanjong Pagar United vs Young Lions | 18 June | 5.30pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 113, StarHub Ch 204
Team news: Tanjong Pagar will miss Shakir Hamzah, Shahrin Saberin (both injury) and Faizal Raffi (suspension), while Daniel Bennett is also doubtful with a calf injury.
As for Young Lions, captain Jacob Mahler is out of the season due to a serious knee injury.
- Tanjong Pagar are undefeated in the last four encounters since a 4-2 defeat in December 2020.
- Tanjong Pagar are unbeaten in their last three SPL matches.
- Young Lions have conceded in their last 43 matches stretching back to September 2019.
- A win will see Tanjong Pagar achieve three successive home victories for the first time since July 2013.
- If he scores, Tanjong Pagar’s Reo Nishiguchi will match his best-ever scoring run – first achieved in the first five matches of the 2020 season.
Sailors gunning for more
Balestier Khalsa vs Lion City Sailors | 19 June | 5.30pm | Toa Payoh | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Balestier have a largely fit squad to call upon, with Aarish Kumar likely to at least make the bench after recovering from injury. Goalkeeper Rudy Khairullah will miss out as he is ineligible to play against his parent club, while new signing Madhu Mohana could feature.
For the Sailors, Saifullah Akbar is unlikely to see action due to injury but Zulqarnaen Suzliman is set to feature after returning to the club in the mid-season transfer window.
- The last time both sides met at Toa Payoh, the Sailors required a 95th-minute penalty to salvage a 1-1 draw.
- The Sailors are unbeaten against Balestier in six encounters since their 2020 inception.
- A win will see the Sailors achieve a new club record of seven straight SPL victories, while a loss will see Balestier lose five straight matches for the first time since May 2021.
- Sailors’ Song Uiyoung has scored five in his last five outings against Balestier.
- Sailors’ Hassan Sunny has kept a clean sheet in each of his last four SPL starts.
White Swans determined to remain in title hunt
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Hougang United | 19 June | 5.30pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 113, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: Shogo Toyomura is out for the next few weeks, but otherwise Albirex have a bill of good health.
As for Hougang, Ridhuan Barudin, Idraki Adnan and Zulfahmi Arifin are all not available, while talisman André Moritz remains doubtful. However, captain Fabian Kwok is now fit again while mid-season signings Jordan Vestering and Zainol Gulam are set to feature as well.
- Hougang ended a run of five straight defeats against Albirex in a 1-1 draw at home in April, but are still win-less in their last six encounters since a 2-1 win at Jurong East in the 2019 RHB Singapore Cup group stage.
- Albirex won their last three SPL matches and are unbeaten in their last nine.
- Hougang are win-less in their last nine away matches since a 1-0 win at Young Lions in August 2021.
- Albirex’s Kodai Tanaka has scored five in his last four SPL outings.
Bottom sides clash
Geylang International vs Young Lions | 21 June | 7.45pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Huzaifah Aziz is suspended for Geylang and that is the real absence of note for both sides, with Harhys Stewart set to return for the Young Lions.
- Young Lions have won the last two encounters against the Eagles.
- Young Lions won two and drew one out of the last four encounters played at OTH.
- Young Lions’ only win this season came against Geylang in a 4-1 thrashing back in April.
- Young Lions have lost all three of their away games this season by a single-goal margin.