Singapore Premier League • June 23, 2022
2022 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 13: Preview
Gabriel Quak in action for Lion City Sailors against Albirex Niigata (S), 18 March 2022
SINGAPORE, 23 JUNE 2022 – A top-of-the-table clash awaits us in the AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) this week as leaders Lion City Sailors and Albirex Niigata (S) face off, with six points separating both sides. Meanwhile struggling Balestier Khalsa and Geylang International eye a turn of fortunes against Young Lions and Tanjong Pagar United respectively. Thereafter, the Sailors host Young Lions in a duel between sides at opposite spectrums of the table. ALL LIVE on our YouTube channel and meWATCH!
READ: Matchweek 12 Roundup
Big two face off
Lion City Sailors vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 24 June | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: The Sailors have a largely fit squad to call upon bar Saifullah Akbar, who is still struggling with injury.
The same goes for Albirex, with Shogo Toyomura continuing to sit out on the sidelines.
- Both sides won by a five-goal margin in the past Matchweek – Sailors thrashed Balestier 6-1, while Albirex walloped Hougang 5-0.
- The last four league games between both sides have ended in draws, with the last three ending 1-1 each.
- Five out of the seven encounters in all competitions have been decided by goals after the 86th minute.
- Albirex are the only team that the Sailors have failed to beat in the league since their 2020 inception, with a record of four draws and two defeats; their only win against the White Swans came in the 2022 AIA Community Shield.
- Albirex are unbeaten in their last 10 matches, while the Sailors are on a club-record run of seven straight league wins.
- Sailors are unbeaten in their last 14 home matches since a 3-1 defeat to Hougang in March 2021, winning their last six at Jalan Besar as the hosts; Albirex were the last side to take a point there in a 1-1 draw last September.
- Albirex are unbeaten in their last 19 away matches since a 2-0 defeat to Tampines in October 2020.
- The two players with the most league assists face off – Sailors’ Maxime Lestienne with seven and Albirex’s Masaya Idetsu with six (joint-second with Balestier’s Ryoya Taniguchi).
- Sailors’ Song Uiyoung has scored on his last two outings, while Albirex’s Ilhan Fandi has done so similarly off the bench.
Tigers looking to end win-less streak
Young Lions vs Balestier Khalsa | 25 June | 5.30pm | Jalan Besar | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Young Lions continue to miss captain Jacob Mahler while Syabil Hisham is a doubt, but Jordan Emaviwe and Rezza Rezky should return from illness while Arshad Shamim will also be available again after missing the midweek match due to National Service.
For Balestier, they have a fully fit squad to utilise with Puvan Raj and Aqil Yazid in contention to return.
- The last time both sides met, Balestier won for the first time in five encounters.
- There have been at least five goals scored in each of the last four encounters.
- Young Lions have two wins and a draw from the last four encounters at Jalan Besar.
- Young Lions are win-less in their last three, while Balestier have lost their last five.
- A defeat will see Balestier could lose six straight games for the first time since a seven-match run in July 2019.
Another tough test for beleaguered Eagles
Geylang International vs Tanjong Pagar United | 26 June | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Geylang continue to miss Fadli Kamis due to a long-term injury, but Huzaifah Aziz is back from a one-match ban to boost their midfield options.
For Tanjong Pagar, Shahrin Saberin, Shakir Hamzah, Daniel Bennett, Khairul Nizam are all out due to injury while Rusyaidi Salime could miss out due to reservist, but Faizal Raffi is now available again after serving a two-match suspension.
- Tanjong Pagar have won their last three games and are unbeaten in their last four, while Geylang have no wins in their last 11 matches.
- Six out of Geylang’s seven points so far have come at home – the Eagles have drawn three out of their last four home matches.
- Tanjong Pagar are win-less in their last three away matches.
- Tanjong Pagar’s Reo Nishiguchi could score in six straight games for the first time in his SPL career.
Young Lions hoping to spring surprise
Lion City Sailors vs Young Lions | 29 June | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Nur Adam Abdullah is suspended for the leaders as they look to bounce back from last Friday’s defeat to Albirex, while Danish Qayyum is also sidelined after copping a straight red card in the Young Lions’ loss to Balestier.
- The Sailors have won all six encounters since their 2020 inception.
- Sailors’ Gabriel Quak has scored six in his last six outings against Young Lions.