Singapore Premier League • July 1, 2022
2022 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 14: Preview
Tanjong Pagar United’s Khairul Amri holds off Lion City Sailors’ Shahdan Sulaiman, 9 April 2022
SINGAPORE, 1 JULY 2022 – The AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) action continues with Balestier Khalsa and Geylang International facing off on Saturday, before champions Lion City Sailors aim to consolidate their six-point lead away at Tanjong Pagar United on Sunday. Meanwhile Tampines Rovers and Hougang United will look to brush aside their recent Asian Football Confederation Cup (AFC) disappointments when they visit Albirex Niigata (S) and Young Lions on Monday and Tuesday respectively. ALL LIVE on our YouTube channel and meWATCH!
READ: Matchweek 13 Roundup
Both sides looking to build on momentum
Balestier Khalsa vs Geylang International | 2 July | 5.30pm | Toa Payoh | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: Balestier will miss Aqil Yazid who is away with the Singapore Under-19s for the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) U19 Championship, but the experienced Ho Wai Loon should make the squad after recovering from sickness.
For Geylang, Fadli Kamis, Fareez Farhan (both injury), Huzaifah Aziz (suspension) and Kieran Teo (called up for Singapore U19s) are not available, while Abdil Qaiyyim and Khairul Hairie are also out due to Covid-19.
- Balestier won the previous encounter 1-0 at Our Tampines Hub in April 2022.
- Balestier are unbeaten in the last two encounters at Toa Payoh in all competitions since a 2-1 defeat in June 2018.
- Geylang are win-less in their last nine away games since a 3-1 win over Tanjong Pagar in August 2021 – losing their last four on the road.
- Both sides ended win-less streaks in their last outings – Balestier ended a five-match losing run by beating Young Lions 1-0, while Geylang edged Tanjong Pagar by the same scoreline to win for the first time in 11 matches.
Tricky test for leaders
Tanjong Pagar United vs Lion City Sailors | 3 July | 5.30pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Tanjong Pagar will continue to miss Khairul Nizam due to a hamstring strain, while back-up goalkeeper Veer Karan Sobti is away with the Singapore U19s.
As for Sailors, M. Anumanthan is suspended but Nur Adam Abdullah is now back from a one-match ban to boost their defensive options.
- The Sailors are undefeated in all six meetings – victorious in the last four – since their 2020 inception.
- Tanjong Pagar have won their last three home matches – a victory here will see them win four straight home matches for the first time since June 2001.
- Tanjong Pagar have lost once in six home matches this year.
- Sailors’ Diego Lopes scored thrice in his two starts against Tanjong Pagar since his arrival in 2021.
White Swans aim to maintain momentum
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Tampines Rovers | 4 July | 7.45pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: The big miss for Albirex will be Tadanari Lee, with the former Southampton forward likely to miss the chunk of the season as he undergoes a shoulder operation back in Japan.
For Tampines, creative midfielder Zehrudin Mehmedović is suspended while Ong Yu En is not entirely match-fit yet.
- Tampines have failed to beat Albirex in the last four meetings, with the previous three ending in draws – their last victory against the White Swans came in November 2020.
- Albirex won their last five games and are undefeated in their last 11, while Tampines have lost four out of their last five in all competitions – including the two recent AFC Cup defeats.
- Albirex Head Coach Kazuaki Yoshinaga has yet to experience a loss against Tampines, with a record of eight wins and one draw in all competitions.
- Tampines’ Boris Kopitović has scored seven timess in his last five outings against Albirex.
- The league’s joint-top scorers, Kopitović and Albirex’s Tanaka, face off; they are tied on 13 goals each.
Cheetahs target consistency
Young Lions vs Hougang United | 5 July | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Young Lions will miss a host of players due to the AFF U19 Championships including the key duo of Khairin Nadim and Raoul Suhaimi, while Danish Qayyum also serves the second of his two-match ban. However, Zikos Chua could return for selection and Syahrul Sazali is match-fit despite limping off in last Wednesday’s 5-0 loss to Sailors.
Meanwhile the big absentee for Hougang is the talismanic André Moritz, who is out for at least a month due to a fractured knee, while Nazrul Nazari also misses out due to suspension. However, Zulfahmi Arifin is now available again as he marked his return from injury with three substitute appearances in the AFC Cup.
- Hougang have won the last three away encounters against Young Lions, since a 2-1 defeat at Jalan Besar in March 2019.
- Hougang are win-less in last 10 away matches since Aug 2021 when they defeated Young Lions 1-0.
- Young Lions are win-less in their last five, Hougang won just two out of their last nine SPL matches.