Singapore Premier League • May 4, 2022
2022 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 8: Preview
Tampines Rovers striker Boris Kopitovic faces the Balestier Khalsa defence, 26 February 2022.
SINGAPORE, 4 MAY 2022 – The AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) returns after a two-week hiatus for the second round, with champions and leaders Lion City Sailors looking to consolidate their four-point lead against Hougang United. Meanwhile, the chasing pack of Tanjong Pagar United and Tampines Rovers will be up against Tanjong Pagar United and Balestier Khalsa. ALL LIVE on our YouTube channel and meWATCH!
Back to domestic exploits for Sailors
Hougang United vs Lion City Sailors | 6 May | 7.45pm | Hougang | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Hougang have myriad problems, with defenders Anders Aplin and Nazhiim Harman out through suspension, Zulfahmi Arifin away for the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games while first-choice goalkeeper Ridhuan Barudin, Farhan Zulkifli, Shawal Anuar, Afiq Noor and Idraki Adnan are all not fit to play. Centre-back Lionel Tan is also doubtful.
As for the Sailors, they will miss Nur Adam Abdullah and Saifullah Akbar due to the duo’s involvement in the SEA Games.
- The Sailors have won both encounters at Hougang Stadium since their inception – 3-1 in November 2020 and 1-0 in April 2021.
- Hougang are unbeaten at home so far this season, with two wins and a draw.
- Hougang have not kept a clean sheet in their last 14 matches, while the Sailors have three shutouts in their last five SPL matches.
White Swans yearning for revenge
Tanjong Pagar United vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 7 May | 5.30pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Tanjong Pagar continue to miss defenders Shakir Hamzah and Shahrin Saberin while forward Khairul Nizam is doubtful, but utility man Raihan Rahman will return from suspension to bolster their options.
For Albirex, Shogo Toyomura and new signing Ilhan Fandi are unavailable due to injury while Nicky Melvin Singh is away for SEA Games. However, Masaya Idetsu is now fit again after a five-match absence while Zamani Zamri should also feature after returning to the club in April.
- Tanjong Pagar are undefeated in their last three encounters against Albirex, with two wins and a draw.
- Albirex have lost just two out of their last 33 SPL matches since November 2020 – both came against Tanjong Pagar.
- Tanjong Pagar suffered their first defeat in 10 matches the last time out against Sailors, while Albirex have drew their past four matches.
- Tanjong Pagar’s Reo Nishiguchi scored four goals in his last three appearances against Albirex.
Tricky test for in-form Stags
Tampines Rovers vs Balestier Khalsa | 8 May | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Tampines will miss defensive duo Ryaan Sanizal and Irfan Najeeb, who are away for the SEA Games.
As for Balestier, centre-back Amer Hakeem remains out due to injury but new signing Daniel Goh could make the bench.
- At least three goals have been scored in each of the last five encounters.
- Balestier are undefeated in the last two encounters, after a previous run of 16 games without a win against Tampines.
- Tampines are unbeaten in their last five matches, while Balestier won three out of their last four.
- Tampines’ Boris Kopitović has scored six goals in as many outings against Balestier since his SPL arrival in 2020 – he has tallied 10 goals in his last five SPL outings.