Singapore Premier League • May 11, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 11: Preview
Tampines Rovers’s Boris Kopitovic against Tanjong Pagar, 28 May 2022.
SINGAPORE, 11 MAY 2023 – The 2023 Singapore Premier League action continues this Friday, when Hougang United face off against Geylang International on home ground in hopes of getting their second win of the season. Meanwhile, Lion City Sailors will aim for a win against Brunei DPMM to potentially secure second position in the standings.
Matchweek 11 ends off with an exciting clash between Tampines Rovers and Tanjong Pagar United where both sides look to bounce back from recent losses and avoid dropping more points.
Both sides out to improve
Hougang United vs Geylang International | 12 May | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Brian Ferreira is now up for selection after serving a two-match suspension. Ajay Robson is still out for international duty with the Men’s U22s for the 32nd SEA Games in Cambodia.
Noor Ariff remains injured. Akmal Azman has recovered from injury and is now up for selection.
- Hougang United has won six times, drawn once, and lost thrice to Geylang International in their past 10 fixtures.
- The Cheetahs are the only side yet to reach double-digit goals this season – they have seven goals in nine games.
- Geylang International manager Noor Ali has won four and lost three games against current Hougang United manager Marko Kraljevic.
- Right winger Yushi Yamaya has racked up five goals for the Eagles this season, matching his total goal tally before joining the club in February 2023 – five goals in four seasons.
Hougang United’s Sahil Suhaimi in action, 6 May 2023.
Sailors gunning for second place
Brunei DPMM vs Lion City Sailors | 13 May | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Striker Abdul Rasaq as well as defenders Nur Adam and Bill Mamadou are out for international duty in Cambodia for the 32nd SEA Games. Izwan Mahbud remains injured.
- Brunei DPMM have lost two home games this season – they only lost one home game when they last played in the SPL during the 2019 season.
- All ten of Brunei DPMM’s points this season have come from matches held at Jalan Besar Stadium.
- Among the three goalkeepers to have played all games this season, Sailors goalkeeper Zharfan Rohaizad has saved the most shots – 40 in nine games.
- Sailors winger Maxime Lestienne is on track to smash his personal best goalscoring record in a season, scoring eight goals in nine games so far. His personal best was 12 goals in 25 games for the Sailors last season.
Maxime Lestienne in action, May 7 2023.
Wounded Jaguars aim to break losing streak
Tampines Rovers vs Tanjong Pagar United | 14 May | 6.00pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Shah Shahiran is now up for selection, after serving his two-match suspension.
Midfielder Fathullah Rahmat is still out for international duty with the Men’s U22s at the 32nd SEA Games in Cambodia. Faritz Abdul Hameed is still in recovery following his ankle surgery and will remain sidelined till the mid of the SPL 2023 season.
- Tanjong Pagar United have only won once in their last 10 fixtures against Tampines Rovers – a 4-2 win on Matchweek 11 of the 2022 SPL season.
- Tanjong Pagar United have received the most red cards this season – three in nine games.
- Tampines Rovers have been awarded the most penalties this season and have maintained a perfect conversion rate – three goals from three penalties.
- After scoring a header the last time the two sides met, Tampines forward Boris Kopitovic is the fixture’s top goalscorer with eight goals.
Tampines’s Boris Kopitovic in action, 6 May 2023.