Singapore Premier League • May 19, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 12: Preview
Lion City Sailors’s Diego Lopes against Albirex Niigata, 7 October 2022.
SINGAPORE, 19 MAY 2023 – Matchweek 12 of the 2023 Singapore Premier League starts at Our Tampines Hub on Saturday, where Tampines Rovers will aim for all three points against Young Lions. Elsewhere, Balestier Khalsa host Brunei DPMM in a tantalising mid-table clash where the Tigers will hope to continue their good run of form.
More fixtures are to come on Sunday when current leaders Albirex Niigata (S) aim to beat the Lion City Sailors to build a six-match winning streak. Meanwhile, Tanjong Pagar United will look to get back into the win column after enduring a four-match losing streak when they meet Geylang International.
Stags return to winning ways
Tampines Rovers vs Young Lions | 20 May | 6.00pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch111, StarHub Ch201
This will be the Young Lions’ first match in a month, with the bulk of the team returning from the SEA Games in Cambodia. In light of Coach Philippe Aw’s announcement yesterday, assistant coaches Fadzuhasny Juraimi and Koichiro Iizuka will be overseeing the team in the meantime.
- Young Lions are the only side that has not recorded an away win this season.
- Young Lions tie with Tanjong Pagar United and Hougang United for the least chances created so far this season – seven in nine games.
- Tampines forward Boris Kopitovic has the most shots, 56, and shots on target, 21, in the league.
- The Stags’ currently hold a 13-match unbeaten streak against Young Lions starting from the 2019 SPL season.
Young Lions’ Danial Crichton in action, 25 February 2023.
Tantalising mid-table clash
Balestier Khalsa vs Brunei DPMM | 20 May | 6.00pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch112, StarHub Ch202
Team news: For the Tigers, Iqram Rifqi is out for the game due to a hamstring injury. Both Puvan Raj and Mukundan Maran will not up for selection as well due to knee injuries. Aidil Johari is also out due to shoulder injuries.
- Balestier Khalsa have struggled to win home games this season – they have a home record of one win and three losses. Last season, the Tigers only managed five home wins from 14 home games.
- Balestier Khalsa midfielder Ryoya Taniguchi is the highest-scoring midfielder this season with 10 goals in the same number of appearances.
- Among those currently playing for either side, Brunei DPMM forward Andrey Voronkov is the fixture’s top goalscorer with eight goals in four games.
- Brunei DPMM have already lost more games so far this season, five games, than they did throughout the whole 2019 SPL season.
Balestier’s Madhu Mohana in action, 18 March 2023.
Albirex on a hot streak
Lion City Sailors vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 21 May | 6.00pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch111, StarHub Ch202
Team news: Sailors’ Rusyaidi Salime serves the second of his two-match suspension, while teammate Izwan Mahbud is still out due to injuries. Goalkeeper Adib Nur Hakim may be excluded from selections this week due to reservist duties. Defender Super could be back fit.
- If the White Swans win on Sunday, they will set the longest winning streak – six matches in a row – this season, beating the Stags’ five-match winning streak.
- Albirex goalkeeper Hassan Sunny has six clean sheets – double that of Sailors goalkeeper Zharfan Rohaizad, who has three clean sheets.
- Sailors winger Maxime Lestienne currently tops both the goals and assist charts – he has 10 goals and 9 assists in 10 appearances this season.
- After playing all clubs at least once this season, Albirex Niigata (S) is the only side the Sailors have failed score against.
Ryo Takahashi in action, 9 March 2023
Jaguars endure poor run of form
Geylang International vs Tanjong Pagar United | 21 May | 6.00pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch112, StarHub Ch201
Team news: Geylang’s Huzaifah Aziz will be out for the season after sustaining a complete ACL tear in the last match with Hougang.
- Tanjong Pagar United will be on a five-match losing streak if they lose this fixture – the second longest losing streak since they returned to the SPL in 2020.
- The Jaguars have won three, drawn two and lost six games against Geylang International across all competitions since 2020.
- Tanjong Pagar United is the only club that the Eagles have failed to score against after 11 matchweeks.
- Nine out of Geylang’s 13 points so far have come at home – the Eagles have won three out of five home matches.
- Eagles midfielder Takahiro Tezuka, who has played all minutes so far, will make his 60th appearance in the SPL if he plays next game.
Vincent Bezecourt in action against Hougang, 5 March 2023.