Singapore Premier League • May 25, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 13: Preview
Balestier United’s Madhu Mohana clears the ball against Albirex Niigata, 31 October 2022.
SINGAPORE, 25 MAY 2023 – A high-scoring matchup is on the cards to kickstart Matchweek 13 when Albirex Niigata host an in-form Balestier Khalsa on Friday. The action continues on Saturday when Young Lions welcome Geylang International, with the Eagles hoping for a win after a poor run of form in recent games.
Meanwhile, Tampines Rovers aim to beat Brunei DPMM and cement their top position with a win on Sunday. Elsewhere, Hougang United hope to forget their torrid start to the season and look to continue their upward trend with a win against Tanjong Pagar United.
In-form Tigers face a tough test
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Balestier Khalsa | 26 May | 7.45pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: A few players from Balestier Khalsa will be left out of selection due to injuries – Iqram Rifqi, Puvan Raj, Mukundan Maran, Syukri Noorhaizam and Aidil Johari.
- Both sides rank in the top three for the number of goals scored – Albirex Niigata (S) is first with 32 goals while Balestier Khalsa is third with 24 goals.
- Balestier Khalsa have recorded a three-match winning streak for the first time since the 2015 S.League season.
- The Tigers have conceded the most away goals so far this season, letting in 14 goals in six games.
- Albirex Niigata (S) beat Balestier Khalsa 6-1 when they last met – their largest margin of victory this season.
- The White Swans have used the same starting lineup for their past four games, leading to three wins and one loss.
Balestier United’s Ryoya Taniguchi in action against Tanjong Pagar, 16 April 2023.
Eagles in freefall
Young Lions vs Geylang International | 27 May | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111
- Young Lions have beaten Geylang International twice in their past 10 fixtures against each other in the SPL.
- Young Lions have scored the second least home goals after 12 matchweeks, only netting six times in five home games.
- All of Young Lions’ five points have come from home games.
- Jalan Besar Stadium is the only other place where Geylang International has bagged points besides their home ground of Our Tampines Hub.
Geylang United’s Vincent Bezecourt in action against Tanjong Pagar , 21 May 2023.
Stags reach new heights
Brunei DPMM vs Tampines Rovers | 28 May | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 113
- Tampines Rovers have won five out their last 10 fixtures against Brunei DPMM across all competitions.
- Tampines Rovers have conceded the least goals when playing as the away side – giving up two goals in five goals.
- The Stags are the only side that has not lost an away fixture this season.
- Brunei DPMM forward Hakeme Yazid Said has scored five goals in nine games this season. He only scored once in two games for Brunei DPMM during the club’s 2019 SPL campaign.
Tampines Rover’s Yasir Hanapi in action against DPMM, 20 April 2023.
Both sides eager to carry their momentum forward
Tanjong Pagar United vs Hougang United | 28 May | 6.00pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Hougang’s Hazzuwan Halim remains suspended.
- Tanjong Pagar United drew with Hougang United in all four of their fixtures in the 2022 SPL season.
- Hougang United goalkeeper Zaiful Nizam ties with Tampines forward Yasir Hanapi as the most experienced player in the SPL – he has played 286 games since the 2006 S.League season.
- The Cheetahs are one of three clubs that are yet to record a clean sheet this season.
- Hougang United has the poorest shot conversion rate so far this season with 8.47%.
Hougang United’s Zulfahmi Arifin in action against Albirex Niigata , 6 May 2023.