Singapore Premier League • June 9, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 16: Preview
Young Lions’s Syahadat Masnawi in action against Lion City Sailors, 15 April 2023.
SINGAPORE, 9 June 2023 – Matchweek 16 kicks off on Saturday when Lion City Sailors face off against Young Lions, who hope to pull off an upset and record their first win in nine games. Elsewhere, an in-form Hougang United side aims to make in five wins in a row when they meet Tampines Rovers.
After welcoming some new additions to their squad, Brunei DPMM look to bounce back against Albirex Niigata (S) on Sunday. Elsewhere, Balestier Khalsa and Tanjong Pagar United face off in a tense mid-table affair that could see the Jaguars bring themselves level with the Tigers on points with a win.
Young Lions looking for an upset
Lion City Sailors vs Young Lions | 10 June | 6.00pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news for Lion City Sailors: Hami Syahin is back from suspension. Manuel Herrera Lopez is a doubt due to injury.
Team news for Young Lions: Kieran Teo is out injured.
- Young Lions have managed to draw 1-1 with Lion City Sailors in their two most recent fixtures.
- Young Lions have only scored four times in six away games this season – the least among all nine clubs.
- After three seasons with at least 200 minutes played, Young Lions midfielder Elijah Lim scored his first ever brace in a 3-4 loss to Tanjong Pagar United last matchweek.
- Sailors winger Maxime Lestienne leads the way in goals and assists, scoring 13 goals and assisting 13 more in 13 games.
Lion City Sailors’ Diego Lopes in action against Tampines Rovers, 7 June 2023.
Cheetahs rising to new heights
Tampines Rovers vs Hougang United | 10 June | 6.00pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Hougang United: Anders Aplin out with a dislocated elbow.
- Hougang United will continue to make history if they secure five wins in a row on Saturday, recording their longest ever winning streak.
- After 12 SPL seasons, Cheetahs forward Amy Recha scored his first ever hat trick in a 3-2 win over Brunei DPMM last matchweek.
- Tampines Rovers tie with Albirex Niigata (S) for the most clean sheets so far this season, with seven clean sheets in 13 games.
- Stags midfielder Kyoga Nakamura will make his 100th appearance in the SPL if he plays next match.
Tampines Rovers’ Boris Kopitovic in action against Lion City Sailors, 7 June 2023.
Brunei DPMM look to bounce back
Brunei DPMM vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 11 June | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
- Brunei DPMM was one of only two teams that Albirex Niigata (S) did not beat during the 2019 SPL season.
- When Brunei DPMM last had a three-match losing streak in September 2017, they won their next game to end their poor run of form.
- Albirex Niigata (S) is the only side that has conceded less than 10 goals so far this season, letting in eight goals in 12 games.
- The White Swans have only lost to their closest rivals so far this season and are yet to lose to any team that is 4th place or lower.
Albirex Niigata (S)’ s Shuto Komaki celebrates a goal against Geylang International, 7 June 2023.
Fierce battle in the mid-table
Balestier Khalsa vs Tanjong Pagar United | 11 June | 6.00pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news for Balestier Khalsa: Puvan Raj (knee), Mukundan Maran (knee) and Aidil Johari (shoulder) are out injured.
Team news for Tanjong Pagar: Pedro Henrique is out injured.
- Since returning to the league in 2020, Tanjong Pagar United have won four, drawn two and lost four of their 10 fixtures with Balestier Khalsa.
- The Tigers are doing relatively better this season compared to their 2022 campaign, securing two more wins in their first 13 games.
- Tigers midfielder Ryoya Taniguchi is still the highest scoring non-attacker this season with 12 goals in 13 games.
- Jaguars defender Shakir Hamzah has scored four goals so far this season – the most goals he has scored in any SPL season of his career so far.
Balestier Khalsa’s Fabian Kwok in action against Lion City Sailors, 1 June 2023.