Singapore Premier League • July 5, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 19: Preview
Lion City Sailors’ Shawal Anuar in action against Young Lions, 10 June 2023.
SINGAPORE, 5 July 2023 – As we draw into the business end of the 2023 SPL season, all nine teams will look to finish strong in the third round of fixtures. Matchweek 19 begins on Thursday when Hougang United face off against Tampines Rovers and look to recover from a three-match losing streak with a win. Elsewhere, Tanjong Pagar United aim to do the same against Balestier Khalsa but the Tigers will be a tough challenge with their recent improvements in results.
Meanwhile, Lion City Sailors look to extend their unbeaten streak to 11 matches in a row when they meet Young Lions on Friday. League leaders Albirex Niigata (S) play against Brunei DPMM for the last fixture and will hope to secure their top position with all three points on Saturday.
Cheetahs look to bounce back
Hougang United vs Tampines Rovers | 6 July | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Hougang United: Fairoz Hasan is back from suspension. Naoki Kuriyama, Anders Aplin, Zulfahmi Arifin and Zaiful Nizam are injury doubts.
- Hougang United has not won against three teams this season, one of them being Tampines Rovers.
- Cheetahs forward Amy Recha will make his 50th appearance for the club and his 200th appearance in the SPL if he plays next game.
- Tampines Rovers has conceded the least away goals this season, letting in four shots over eight games.
- Stags forward Boris Kopitovic, who has scored a goal in each of the club’s last three games, is the fixture’s top scorer with 16 goals in 14 games.
Hougang United’s Kristijan Krajcek in action against Balestier Khalsa, 2 July 2023.
Jaguars left licking their wounds
Tanjong Pagar United vs Balestier Khalsa | 6 July | 7.45pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news for Tanjong Pagar: Fathullah Rahmat and Naufal Ilham have enlisted for National Service on 3/7.
Team news for Balestier Khalsa: Lewis Lee, Iqram Rifqi, Fabian Kwok, Puvan Raj and Mukundan Maran are out injured.
- Balestier Khalsa holds a perfect record against three teams this season, one of them being Tanjong Pagar United.
- After netting a brace the last time these two teams met, Tigers midfielder Ryoya Taniguchi surpasses Reo Nishiguchi to become the fixture’s top scorer with six goals in as many games.
- Both teams rank in the top three for the number of goals conceded this season but the Jaguars have a poorer goal difference of -20 compared to the Tigers’ -8.
- Jaguars defender Shakir Hamzah ties with Marin Mudrazija as the top scorer for the club and is also the highest-scoring defender this season.
Balestier Khalsa players celebrating their win against Hougang United, 2 July 2023.
Ruthless Sailors eyeing another win
Young Lions vs Lion City Sailors | 7 July | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Lion City Sailors: Full squad back fit.
- Young Lions’ only win this season has come during a home game, where they beat Hougang United 2-1.
- Young Lions have not won against Lion City Sailors since the start of the 2020 SPL season.
- Lion City Sailors have scored the second-most goals in away games with 26 goals in just eight games.
- Sailors winger Maxime Lestienne is the first player to hit 30 goal contributions with 15 goals and 15 assists in 16 games.
Young Lions’ Kieran Teo in action against Albirex Niigata (S), 1 July 2023.
White Swans aim to build momentum
Brunei DPMM vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 8 July | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Albirex Niigata (S): Hassan Sunny is unavailable due to suspension. Nicky Melvin Singh has enlisted for National Service.
- Brunei DPMM have not managed to score against two clubs this season, one of them being Albirex Niigata (S).
- This fixture has ended 2-0 to the White Swans on both occasions this season.
- Brunei DPMM forwards Hakeme Yazid Said and Andrey Voronkov are tied for the most goal contributions for the club with 12 each.
- The White Swans are the club with the most players in the top 10 in assists. They have four players with five or more assists – Shuto Komaki, Seia Kunori, Riku Fukashiro and Tadanari Lee.
Albirex Niigata (S)’s Kai Yamamoto in action against Young Lions, 1 July 2023.