Singapore Premier League • March 3, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 2: Preview
Andrey Voronkov celebrates after scoring against then Home United, 3 March 2019
SINGAPORE, 2 MARCH 2023 – The action continues tomorrow as two-time champions Brunei DPMM FC make their long awaited return to the league after a three-year hiatus. Meanwhile, Tanjong Pagar United will be looking to make their home advantage count against Tampines Rovers in the other Friday night match.
Elsewhere, Balestier Khalsa will be looking to get all three points against a leaky Young Lions side on Saturday and Matchweek 2 rounds off with a mouth-watering clash between Geylang International, who sit top of the table with four points, and Hougang United.
ALL LIVE on our YouTube channel and meWATCH!
DPMM face flying Sailors on their long awaited return
Lion City Sailors vs Brunei DPMM | 3 Mar | 7.45pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch HS2
Team news: Sailors will still be without midfielder Anaqi Ismit, Haiqal Pashia, Izwan Mahbud and Pedro Henrique.
Meanwhile, the Bruneians will be without defender Nurikhwan Othman.
- Brunei DPMM won their second SPL title the last time they played in the league back in 2019.
- Lion City Sailors was still known as Home United back in 2019.
- DPMM met Home United three times in 2019, winning twice and and losing once.
- Maxime Lestienne led the league in assists last season (23) and is bringing that form to the new season, having already recorded three assists – the most of any player so far – after last Friday’s win against the Jaguars.
Maxime Lestienne against Tanjong Pagar United, 24 February 2023
Jaguars hunting for their first win of the season
Tanjong Pagar United vs Tampines Rovers | 3 Mr | 7.45pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch HS2
Team news: Tanjong Pagar will still be without skipper Faritz Hameed and team official Noh Alam Shah – who will serve his second of his five match stadium ban. But the Jaguars will be boosted by the availability of new foreign signings Pedro Dias and Marin Mudrazija. The duo came off in the first half last Friday after suffering muscle and head injuries respectively.
New signing Syahrul Sazali picked up a knee injury and will not be available for the Stags.
- Tampines Rovers handed Tanjong Pagar United its heaviest ever defeat in club history – a 9-0 thumping – during the 2004 season.
- The Stags are currently on a three-match winning streak against the Jaguars, including a 4-1 win in the 2022 Singapore cup that led to the Jaguars’ exit from the competition on goal difference.
- The two teams combined for a total of 26 goals in the 4 games that they played against each other last season.
- Tanjong Pagar United and Tampines Rovers recorded the most (65) and second-most (62) yellow cards respectively last season.
Maxime Lestienne against Marin Mudrazija against Lion City Sailors, 24 February 2023
Tigers look to bounce back after tough loss
Balestier Khalsa vs Young Lions | 4 Mar | 6.00pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch HS2
Team news: Youngster Lewis Lee remains out for the Tigers.
Meanwhile, Young Lions captain Jacob Mahler is still recovering from a muscle injury. Young Lions will be boosted by the return of Jordan Emaviwe, who missed the midweek fixture due to illness, Adam Reefdy, and Kan Kobayashi.
- Balestier Khalsa and Young Lions have both won 23 out of the 54 matches in which they faced each other.
- Balestier Khalsa was one of only three clubs to provide Young Lions with points last season – a 4-4 draw in October 2022.
- Young Lions are currently on a 15-match winless streak, the longest of any club in league history.
- The two sides met five times last season, with Shuhei Hoshino and Ryoya Taniguchi scoring in all but one of those matches.
Ryoya Taniguchi and Shuhei Hoshino against Young Lions last season, 19 March 2022
Eagles looking to retain top position
Geylang International vs Hougang United | 5 Mar | 6.00pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch HS2
Team news: Ahmad Syahir, Nazhiim Harman and Fadli Kamis remain unavailable for the Eagles. Defender Akmal Azman will also serve the first of his two match suspension after being issued with a straight red card against Young Lions.
The Cheetahs will be missing Shahdan Sulaiman and Idraki Adnan. Former Geylang International player Umar Akhbar is available and may make his debut against his former side.
- Hougang won three of the five fixtures involving the two clubs last season.
- The Cheetahs scored the most goals after the 90th minute (6) among all clubs last season.
- This is the first time since the 2018 season which the Eagles have gone undefeated in their opening two games.