Singapore Premier League • July 10, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 20: Preview
Lion City Sailors’ Anumanthan in action against Brunei DPMM, 13 May 2023.
SINGAPORE, 11 July 2023 – After league leaders Albirex Niigata (S) suffered a shock draw last matchweek, they have to sit and watch as the other eight teams duke it out for more wins and points on Matchweek 20.
The in-form Lion City Sailors face off against Brunei DPMM with a chance to go top of the table. Elsewhere, Tampines Rovers host Tanjong Pagar United, who will look to break their four-match losing streak.
Wednesday will bring us two more matches, first of which being a tense clash between fifth-placed Geylang International and sixth-placed Hougang United. Meanwhile, Balestier Khalsa square off against Young Lions in hopes of securing a perfect record against a second team this season.
Sailors eager to claim first place
Lion City Sailors vs Brunei DPMM | 11 July | 7.45pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Sailors: Abdul Rasaq is an injury doubt.
- When Brunei DPMM last faced Lion City Sailors on Matchweek 11, Brunei DPMM forward Andrey Voronkov netted his third-ever hat trick in the SPL.
- Lion City Sailors have maintained their unbeaten home record with seven wins and one draw in eight home games.
- The Sailors have the most players in the top 10 for goals this season – Maxime Lestienne, Abdul Rasaq and Shawal Anuar.
- Sailors’ winger Maxime Lestienne bagged his first hat trick of the season last matchweek, scoring all three goals with his left foot.
Brunei DPMM’s Andrey Voronkov in action against Albirex Niigata (S), 8 July 2023.
Jaguars feeling the pressure
Tampines Rovers vs Tanjong Pagar United | 11 July | 7.45pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch201
Team news for Tanjong Pagar: New signing Syed Akmal is fit and will be part of the team.
- Since returning to the SPL in 2020, Tanjong Pagar United have only won one match against Tampines Rovers – a 4-2 victory during the 2022 SPL season.
- Tanjong Pagar United have not scored against two clubs this season, one of them being Tampines Rovers.
- Tampines Rovers tie with Albirex Niigata (S) for the least goals conceded this season – 12 goals in 17 games.
- Stags forward Boris Kopitovic has scored at least one goal in eight of the clubs’ past nine games.
Tanjong Pagar’s Blake Ricciuto celebrates scoring against Balestier Khalsa, 6 July 2023.
Coin toss between fifth and sixth
Geylang International vs Hougang United | 12 July | 7.45pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Geylang International: Vincent Bezecourt is ruled out due to injury.
Team news for Hougang United: New signing Abdil Qaiyyim is fit and will be part of the team.
- Geylang International and Hougang United have met twice this season. They have both won one game each and scored four goals across the two games.
- Hougang United are the team with the second-fewest goals this season and have only scored once on their current four-match losing streak.
- Since being appointed as Hougang United’s caretaker manager, Marko Kraljevic has won four out of eight games. Before he joined, the Cheetahs won one, drew one and lost six games.
- Hougang United ties with Brunei DPMM for the greatest number of penalty takers this season. Gabriel Quak, Amy Recha and Hazzuwan Halim have taken and scored one penalty each.
Hougang United’s Gabriel Quak in action against Tampines Rovers, 6 July 2023.
Tigers hunt for another win
Balestier Khalsa vs Young Lions | 12 July | 7.45pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news for Balestier Khalsa: Madhu Mohana and Daniel Goh are suspended.
Lewis Lee, Puvan Raj, Mukundan Maran, Iqram Rifqi and Fabian Kwok are out injured.
Team news for Young Lions: Aqil Yazid is suspended.
- Young Lions’ latest victory over Balestier Khalsa came during the 2021 SPL season – a 4-2 win on Matchweek 15.
- If Young Lions fail to break their losing streak, they will end the season with their lowest point tally in club history.
- After last matchweek’s 3-2 victory over Tanjong Pagar United, Tigers goalkeeper Hairul Syirhan now has the most saves in the league with 62 saves in 17 games.
- Tigers forward Shuhei Hoshino has registered at least one goal contribution (goal or assist) in the past seven games and will make his 100th appearance if he plays this game.
Balestier Khalsa’s players celebrating a goal against Tanjong Pagar United, 6 July 2023.