Singapore Premier League • July 15, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 21: Preview
Young Lions’ Jared Gallagher in action against Tampines Rovers, 20 May 2023.
SINGAPORE, 14 July 2023 – After a short two day break, SPL action resumes tomorrow with four exciting matches over the weekend. Tampines Rovers look to extend their nine-match unbeaten streak when they play against Young Lions, while Geylang International aim to bounce back with a win over a struggling Tanjong Pagar United side.
Sunday will see two in-form sides, Brunei DPMM and Balestier Khalsa, clash as they both look to continue their winning ways. Elsewhere, a titanic clash will go down between league leaders Albirex Niigata (S) and title contenders Lion City Sailors, with both sides hoping to gain an edge in the title race.
Stags with a chance to go top
Young Lions vs Tampines Rovers | 15 July | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 204
Team news for Young Lions:
Nazri Nasir takes charge of his first Young Lions game after his appointment.
Captain Harhys Stewart is suspended for this match.
- Young Lions last won a match against Tampines Rovers during the 2018 SPL season – a 2-1 victory on Matchweek 21.
- Young Lions are one of two teams that has not managed to score against Tampines Rovers this season.
- Tampines Rovers tie with Albirex Niigata (S) for the most clean sheets this season, with nine clean sheets in 18 games.
- The Stags are the only side that has scored at least one goal in every match this season.
Young Lions’ Farhan Zulkifli in action against Lion City Sailors, 7 July 2023.
Eagles look to bounce back
Tanjong Pagar United vs Geylang International | 15 July | 6.00pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Tanjong Pagar:
Pedro Henrique and Marin Mudrazija will be rested for this game.
Team news for Geylang International:
Huzaifah Aziz and Vincent Bezecourt are out due to ACL injuries.
Danish Irfan is suspended for this game.
- Tanjong Pagar United are on a three-match winning streak against Geylang International, including a 2-1 win over the Eagles during the 2022 Singapore Cup Group Stage.
- Tanjong Pagar United have given up a penalty in each of their past three games.
- If the Jaguars lose on Saturday, they will set their longest losing streak in a SPL season since returning to the league in 2020.
- Five out of seven of the Eagles’ wins this season have been by two goals or more. Only one of the Jaguars’ five wins this season has been by two goals or more.
Tanjong Pagar United players celebrating a goal against Balestier Khalsa, 6 July 2023.
Brunei DPMM on a roll
Brunei DPMM vs Balestier Khalsa | 16 July | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 112
Team news for Balestier Khalsa:
Lewis Lee (knee), Iqram Rifqi (ankle), Fabian Kwok (hamstring), Puvan Raj (knee), Mukundan Maran (knee) are out injured.
- Balestier Khalsa have beaten Brunei DPMM twice so far this season – a 4-3 win on Matchweek 3 and a 3-2 win on Matchweek 12.
- The Tigers have been on a goalscoring tear in recent games, averaging 3.2 goals per match in their past 10 games.
- Joint top-scorer Ryoya Taniguchi netted his only hat-trick so far this season against Brunei DPMM during a 4-3 victory on Matchweek 3.
- At the age of 20, Brunei DPMM forward Hakeme Yazid Said is the youngest player among the top 10 goalscorers this season.
Brunei DPMM’s Farshad Noor in action against Albirex Niigata (S), 8 July 2023.
Chance for redemption
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Lion City Sailors | 16 July | 6.00pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 204
Team news for Lion City Sailors:
Bailey Wright starts his 2-match suspension.
- Lion City Sailors and Albirex Niigata (S) have scored the most and second-most goals this season. The Sailors have 54 goals in 18 games while the White Swans have 53 goals in 17 games.
- Lion City Sailors beat Albirex Niigata (S) 3-2 in their last meeting, ending the White Swans’ six-match winning streak against them.
- Albirex Niigata (S) forward Keito Komatsu has been a super-sub for the club, scoring seven goals in the 15 matches he was substituted into.
- The White Swans have conceded a quarter of their goals to the Sailors this season.
- An own goal has been scored both times these two teams have met this season.
Albirex Niigata (S) players celebrating a goal against Brunei DPMM, 8 July 2023.