Singapore Premier League • July 28, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 23: Preview
Albirex Niigata’s Shodai Yokoyama in action against Tampines Rovers’ Taufik Suparno, 27 June 2023.
SINGAPORE, 27 July 2023 – Matchweek 23 brings us four exciting clashes as teams vie for more points and higher positions with just five more weeks of play left. Friday will see first and second place face off against each other, with Tampines Rovers looking to keep up with Albirex Niigata (S) in the title race. Elsewhere, Brunei DPMM will play against Geylang International and look to start a late push up the standings to end of the season.
Young Lions face off against Hougang United on Saturday, with the former needing at least a draw to still have a chance at not finishing last this season. Meanwhile, Balestier Khalsa will be getting ready for a Monday match against Lion City Sailors where they will need a win to have a chance at finishing in the top three.
Stags with a chance to recover lost ground
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Tampines Rovers | 28 July | 7.45pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 111
Team news for Albirex: Hassan Sunny is back in the team.
Team news for Tampines: Irfan Najeeb is suspended while Boris Kopitovic is nursing an injury.
- Tampines Rovers are the only club that Albirex Niigata (S) has not won against this season.
- Tampines Rovers are yet to lose an away game this season. They won seven and drawn thrice when playing as the away side.
- Albirex Niigata (S) forward Keito Komatsu achieved his first hat trick last matchweek, scoring thrice in the span of 17 minutes.
- Stags midfielder Yasir Hanapi has the most SPL appearances of any player currently in the league. He has 286 appearances over 14 seasons.
Albirex Niigata (S)’s Keito Komatsu celebrating scoring against Young Lions, 22 July 2023.
Brunei DPMM vs Geylang International | 28 July | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 112
Team news for Geylang International: Huzaifah Aziz and Vincent Bezecourt are out due to ACL injuries.
- Geylang International have beaten Brunei DPMM both times that they have met this season.
- Eagles winger Yushi Yamaya leads the club in goal contributions with eight goals and five assists after playing almost every minute so far this season.
- 14 of Brunei DPMM’s 18 points have come from matches at Jalan Besar Stadium.
- If Brunei DPMM lose on Friday, they will be locked out of a top half finish this season.
Geylang International’s Yushi Yamaya in action against Tampines Rovers, 22 July 2023.
Do or die for Young Lions
Young Lions vs Hougang United | 29 July | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 201
Team news for Young Lions: Aqil Yazid and Haziq Kamarudin are suspended.
Team news for Hougang United: Umar Akhbar is out with an injury.
- Hougang United is one of two teams that have dropped points to Young Lions this season, losing 1-2 to them on Matchweek 5.
- 15 of Hougang United’s 22 points have come from away fixtures.
- Cheetahs midfielder Sahil Suhaimi is the fixture’s top goal scorer with seven goals. He last scored against Young Lions when the Cheetahs won 3-0 on Matchweek 14.
- Young Lions have scored 13 of their 20 goals during home games.
Hougang United’s Sahil Suhaimi in action against Balestier Khalsa, 21 July 2023.
Sailors back on course
Lion City Sailors vs Balestier Khalsa | 31 July | 7.45pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Lion City Sailors: Hafiz Nor is suspended while Bailey Wright returns from suspension.
Team news for Balestier Khalsa FC: Lewis Lee (knee), Iqram Rifqi (ankle), Fabian Kwok (hamstring), Puvan Raj (knee) and Mukundan Maran (knee) are out injured.
- Lion City Sailors have beaten Balestier Khalsa on both occasions this season.
- Balestier Khalsa have not drawn a match this season.
- The Sailors and the Tigers have the second and third most goals this season with 58 and 50 goals respectively.
- Centre-forward Shuhei Hoshino has recorded at least one goal contribution in each of the Tigers’ last 10 games, scoring eight goals and assisting seven more.
Balestier Khalsa players celebrating a goal against Hougang United, 21 July 2023.