Singapore Premier League • August 10, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 25: Preview
Balestier Khalsa’s Ho Wai Loon in action against Geylang International, 23 June 2023.
SINGAPORE, 10 August 2023 – All eyes will be on the league leaders Albirex Niigata (S) when they face off against Tanjong Pagar United in the opening fixture of Matchweek 25. The White Swans will look to secure back-to-back titles with a victory this Friday but the Jaguars will fight equally hard for a win of their own after ending their win-less streak last matchweek.
Meanwhile, Brunei DPMM play against Young Lions on Saturday, with the former looking to snap their three-match losing streak and have a positive end to the season. Saturday will also bring us a clash between fourth-place Balestier Khalsa and fifth-place Geylang International, with both sides aiming for a win and a top-half finish.
Lion City Sailors battle with Hougang United on Sunday to round off Matchweek 25, with the Sailors aiming for a win to have a shot at the title, assuming the White Swans fail to win against the Jaguars.
One step away from back-to-back titles
Tanjong Pagar United vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 11 Aug | 7.45pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
- Albirex Niigata (S) will secure back-to-back titles if they win on Sunday.
- Seia Kunori scored the greatest number of goals in a single match last matchweek, finding the back of the net four times against Geylang International.
- Tanjong Pagar United have failed to score against Albirex Niigata (S) on both occasions this season, losing 0-2 and 0-4.
- The Jaguars have only won back-to-back games once this season.
Albirex Niigata (S)’s Asahi Yokokawa in action against Geylang International, 3 August 2023.
Brunei DPMM aim for strong finish
Young Lions vs Brunei DPMM | 12 Aug | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Young Lions: Kan Kobayashi and Farhan Zulkifli are out injured.
- Brunei DPMM’s greatest victory this season was a 6-0 result against Young Lions on Matchweek 17.
- Brunei DPMM is one of four clubs that has two players in the top 10 for goals. Forwards Hakeme Yazid Said and Andrey Voronkov have 11 and nine goals each.
- Young Lions scored two goals or more in nine games this season.
- Young Lions still need just one more win to match their performance last season.
Brunei DPMM’s Hakeme Yazid in action against Hougang United, 4 August 2023.
Battle for fourth
Geylang International vs Balestier Khalsa | 12 Aug | 6.00pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Balestier Khalsa: Madhu Mohana is suspended while Lewis Lee (knee), Iqram Rifqi (ankle), Fabian Kwok (hamstring), Puvan Raj (knee) and Mukundan Maran (knee) are injured.
- Balestier Khalsa lost twice to Geylang International this season, scoring twice and conceding six times.
- Balestier Khalsa can only finish as low as sixth this season, a position higher than their seventh-place finish last season.
- Winger Yushi Yamaya, the Eagles’ top scorer, scored on both occasions against the Tigers this season.
- The Eagles can match their point tally of 39 points last season if they win all of their remaning games.
Geylang International’s Rio Sakuma in action against Lion City Sailors, 4 August 2023.
Must-win for Lion City Sailors
Hougang United vs Lion City Sailors | 13 Aug | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
- Lion City Sailors have not conceded a goal to Hougang United this season.
- Left Winger Maxime Lestienne achieved his second-hat trick in the SPL last matchweek, scoring all three goals with his left foot once more.
- A win for the Sailors will ensure they finish at least second this season.
- Hougang United forward Dorde Maksimovic has scored in each of the club’s last three games after just two months in the league.
- The Cheetahs are on a four-match winning streak for the second time this season.
Lion City Sailors’ Anumanthan in action against Tampines Rovers, 4 August 2023.