Singapore Premier League • August 17, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 26: Preview
Albirex Niigata’s Keito Komatsu in action against Balestier Khalsa, 26 May 2023.
SINGAPORE, 17 August 2023 – Matchweek 26 gets underway tomorrow when a rested Tampines Rovers side faces off against Brunei DPMM in hopes of snapping their three-game losing streak. Meanwhile, Geylang International look to dust themselves off after suffering heavy losses in their past two games and aim for three points against Young Lions on Saturday.
Hougang United will play against Tanjong Pagar United on Saturday as well, with the latter aiming for a win to keep up with Brunei DPMM in the race for seventh place. Sunday will see the newly crowned champions, Albirex Niigata (S), go up against Balestier Khalsa, who themselves are looking for at least a draw to confirm their fourth-placed finish.
Brunei DPMM look to capitalise on Stags’ poor run
Tampines Rovers vs Brunei DPMM | 18 Aug | 7.45pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
- In his first full match for Brunei DPMM, forward Nazirrudin Ismail netted a brace to secure a 2-0 win over Young Lions last matchweek.
- Brunei DPMM have not picked up a single point from games at Our Tampines Hub this season.
- Tampines Rovers have not conceded a goal to Brunei DPMM this season.
- If the Stags lose to Brunei DPMM, they will be on a four-match losing streak for the first time in two years. The last time the Stags recorded a four-match losing streak in the SPL was August 2021.
Brunei DPMM’s Hanif Farhan in action against Young Lions, 12 August 2023.
Eagles aim to recover
Geylang International vs Young Lions | 19 Aug | 6.00pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Geylang International: Ahmad Syahir and Naufal Azman suspended for the next 2 games.
Team news for Young Lions: Kan Kobayashi is out with a long-term injury.
- Geylang International have won both matches against Young Lions this season, including a game where they came back from a 1-2 scoreline to win 4-2.
- After achieving a brace last matchweek, Eagles winger Iqbal Hussain is one goal away from matching his total of nine goals when he played for the Young Lions from 2013 to 2015.
- Nearly a quarter of the goals scored against the Eagles have come from their latest two games in which they gave up a staggering 12 goals.
- Young Lions have conceded an average of just over three goals per match this season.
Geylang International’s Amirul Adli in action against Balestier Khalsa, 12 August 2023.
Both sides hope for a return to winning ways
Hougang United vs Tanjong Pagar United | 19 Aug | 6.00pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Hougang United: Sahil Suhaimi is suspended for the match.
- Both teams have been evenly matched this season, each winning one out of two games.
- Hougang United just suffered their heaviest defeat in nearly one and a half years last matchweek, losing 2-8 to the Lion City Sailors.
- Cheetahs winger Gabriel Quak has recorded a goal or assist for three straight games, scoring twice and assisting once over the last three matchweeks.
- Tanjong Pagar United rank in the bottom three for number of clean sheets recorded. They have only kept a clean sheet once this season – a 2-0 victory against Geylang International on Matchweek 3.
Hougang United’s Nazrul Nazari in action against Lion City Sailors, 13 August 2023.
White Swans on their victory lap
Balestier Khalsa vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 20 Aug | 6.00pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Balestier Khalsa: Madhu Mohana is suspended for the match. Alen Kozar (knee), Iqram Rifqi (ankle), Fabian Kwok (hamstring), Puvan Raj (knee) and Mukundan Maran (knee) are out injured.
- Albirex Niigata (S) have beaten Balestier Khalsa twice this season, scoring six goals in each match.
- If Albirex Niigata (S) win on Sunday, they would match their 59-point tally last season having played five less games this season.
- The White Swans already have 18 wins this season, one more than the 17 wins amassed during their 2022 title-winning campaign.
- A win or draw would be enough to secure fourth place for Balestier Khalsa.
Albirex Niigata (S)’s Seia Kunori in action against Tanjong Pagar United, 11 August 2023.