Singapore Premier League • September 14, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 27: Preview
Albirex Niigata (S)’s Keito Komatsu in action against Hougang United, 6 May 2023.
SINGAPORE, 14 September 2023 – The final matchweek of the 2023 SPL season kicks off tomorrow when Tanjong Pagar United face off against Brunei DPMM in a battle for seventh place. Elsewhere, Balestier Khalsa aim for a good result to end off their 2023 SPL campaign when they meet Tampines Rovers.
Meanwhile, 2023 SPL champions Albirex Niigata (S) strive for seven wins in a row when they play against Hougang United for the third and final time this season. Lastly, Geylang International will hope to emerge victorious from a battle with Lion City Sailors on Saturday to have a chance at finishing in the top half of the standings.
Battle for seventh
Tanjong Pagar United vs Brunei DPMM | 15 Sep | 7.45pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 113
- Tanjong Pagar United have lost 1-2 to Brunei DPMM twice this season.
- The Jaguars have scored more than a quarter of their goals over the last four matches they have played this season.
- Brunei DPMM have conceded 19 less goals than Tanjong Pagar United, 42 goals as compared to 61 goals, and have scored the same number of goals this season.
- Brunei DPMM forward Hakeme Yazid Said leads the club with 11 goals and five assists this season.
Tanjong Pagar United’s Faizal Roslan celebrating a goal against Hougang United, 19 August 2023.
Stags still without a win
Balestier Khalsa vs Tampines Rovers | 15 Sep | 7.45pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112
Team news for Balestier: Alen Kozar (knee), Iqram Rifqi (ankle), Puvan Raj (knee), Mukundan Maran (knee) are not available due to injury.
- Tampines Rovers are currently on a four-match winless streak, their longest winless streak since the 2021 SPL season.
- The Stags have scored five goals against Balestier Khalsa this season, with four of the five coming from forward Boris Kopitovic.
- Balestier Khalsa have conceded more than twice as many goals as Tampines Rovers this season – 68 goals as compared to 31 goals.
- Tigers midfielder Ryoya Taniguchi is currently second place in goals scored, netting 22 times in 23 games.
Balestier Khalsa’s Masahiro Sugita in action against Albirex Niigata (S), 20 August 2023.
Six in a row for the White Swans
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Hougang United | 16 Sep | 6.00pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news for Hougang United: Kazuma Takayama is suspended for the match.
- Albirex Niigata (S) have 59 points in five less games this season compared to their title-winning season last year.
- The White Swans have not conceded a goal to Hougang United this season, beating them 2-0 and 5-0 on Matchweeks 4 and 10 respectively.
- The White Swans have not lost a game since Matchweek 12 against the Lion City Sailors.
- Hougang United have scored at least one goal in each of their past six games.
- Cheetahs winger Kristijan Krajcek leads the club with nine goals and nine assists in 19 games this season.
Albirex Niigata (S)’s Seia Kunori in action against Tanjong Pagar United, 11 August 2023.
Eagles target top half finish
Lion City Sailors vs Geylang International | 16 Sep | 6.00pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news for Lion City Sailors: Nur Adam is suspended.
Team news for Geylang: Vincent Bezecourt and Huzaifah Aziz (both ACL) are out injured. Naufal Azman and Ahmad Syahir are suspended for the match.
- Geylang International last beat the Lion City Sailors during the 2022 SPL season where they won 3-1.
- The Eagles have 10 wins in five less games this season compared to their performance in the 2022 SPL season.
- Lion City Sailors have scored twice as many goals as they have conceded this season. They found the back of the net 76 times and let in 38 goals over 23 games.
- If the Sailors win on Saturday, they will finish the season on a five-match winning streak, their longest winning streak this season.
- Sailors winger Maxime Lestienne leads the league with 25 goals and 21 assists this season.
Lion City Sailors’ players celebrating a goal against Hougang United, 13 August 2023.