Singapore Premier League • March 14, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 4: Preview
SINGAPORE, 13 MARCH 2023 – The 2023 Singapore Premier League continues with another set of exciting midweek fixtures. After upsetting Geylang International last week, Tanjong Pagar United will be hoping to kickstart a winning streak by defeating Brunei DPMM. The other Tuesday night clash will see Balestier Khalsa take on new league leaders Tampines Rovers at the Bishan Stadium, with a win for either side sure to cause a huge shake-up in the standings.
Meanwhile, Albirex Niigata (S) will hope to extend their unbeaten run against Hougang United on Wednesday while Lion City Sailors and Geylang International will be looking to return to winning ways after suffering their first defeats of the season in the previous Matchweek.
ALL LIVE on our YouTube channel and meWATCH!
Jaguars hungry for another win
Brunei DPMM vs Tanjong Pagar United | 14 Mar | 7.45pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Defender Nurikhwan Othman remains sidelined for the Bruneians while Yura Putera will serve the first of his two match suspension after receiving a straight red card against Balestier Khalsa.
Meanwhile, the Jaguars will be without skipper Faritz Hameed and team official Noh Alam Shah – who will serve the fourth of his five match stadium ban.
- The two sides last met in 2014, with DPMM winning 2-1.
- Since 2012, Brunei DPMM have won six, drawn and lost once each to Tanjong Pagar United across all competitions.
- Midfielder Blake Ricciuto played for Brunei DPMM in the 2019 SPL season before the club withdrew from the league.
Blake Ricciuto will face his former side, having starred for them back in 2019
Tigers looking to extend their winning streak
Balestier Khalsa vs Tampines Rovers | 14 Mar | 7.45pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch H203
Team news: Winger Masahiro Sugita remains sidelined due to injury along with youngster Lewis Lee.
New signing Syahrul Sazali remains injured while Saifullah Akbar will serve the second of his two match suspension after being issued with a straight red card against Tanjong Pagar.
- The two sides have met 67 times across all competitions since the 2004 season, but the Tigers have only won nine times as compared to the Stags’ 46.
- Boris Kopitovic scored in five of the six meetings between the two sides last season, scoring a total of eight goals.
- Balestier playmaker Ryoya Taniguchi, Ho Wai Loon, Tampines winger Faris Ramli and DPMM forward Andrey Voronkov are the only players in the league to have made attacking contributions in all of their teams’ matches so far.
Boris Kopitovic against Balestier, 8 May 2022
White Swans eyeing top spot
Albirex Niigata (S) vs Hougang United | 15 Mar | 7.45pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch H202
Team news: Zamani Zamri remains unavailable due to injury.
New Hougang signing Fairoz Hassan is eligible to face his former side, while Shahdan Sulaiman and Idraki Adnan are out with long-term injuries. Star midfielder Kristijan Krajcek is also unavailable after suffering an injury against Geylang International.
- Albirex goalkeeper Hassan Sunny has not conceded a goal since joining the White Swans, recording three clean sheets in as many games.
- The White Swans are the only club that remain unbeaten this season.
- Hougang United have managed only one win from the past 10 clashes with Albirex – a 4-2 win in the second leg of the 2022 Singapore Cup semi-finals.
- The Cheetahs have the oldest squad in the league this season, with an average age of 29.1 years.
Hassan Sunny celebrates with Asahi Yokokawa after Albirex beat Lion City Sailors, 9 March 2023
Sailors and Eagles determined to return to winning ways
Lion City Sailors vs Geylang International | 15 Mar | 7.45pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 203
Team news: Key striker Kodai Tanaka has been ruled out for the season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while defender Nur Adam Abdullah is sidelined with a shoulder injury. M.Anumanthan will be serving the first of his two match suspension after receiving his marching orders against Albirex.
Meanwhile, Ahmad Syahir, Nazhiim Harman and Fadli Kamis remain unavailable, but the Eagles will be boosted by the return of defender Akmal Azman from suspension and Head Coach Noor Ali.
- Lion City Sailors have won seven out of their last 10 matches against Geylang International in the SPL.
- Since his first stint as Eagles manager in 2017, Noor Ali has only won twice against the Sailors – both coming last season.
- The Eagles have the most shots on target of any club (26) albeit with a game in hand.
Maxime Lestienne and Rio Sakuma, 4 September 2022