Singapore Premier League • March 30, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 6: Preview
Kyoga Nakamura and Nur Adam Abdullah when the two sides last met, 10 September 2022
SINGAPORE, 30 MARCH 2023 – The Singapore Premier League returns after the international break, kicking off with a titanic clash between Tampines Rovers and Lion City Sailors tomorrow. Elsewhere, Hougang United will be hoping to end their three-match losing streak when they face Brunei DPMM.
Matchweek 6 continues on Saturday when Young Lions, who recently bagged their first win of the season, meet Tanjong Pagar United. Meanwhile, Albirex Niigata (S) face Geylang International and will be keen to bounce back after suffering their first loss of the season in the previous matchweek.
Titanic clash between table toppers
Tampines Rovers vs Lion City Sailors | 31 Mar | 8.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Defender Syahrul Sazali remains injured.
Key striker Kodai Tanaka, goalkeeper Izwan Mahbud, defender Nur Adam Abdullah and youngster Anaqi Ismit are injured but the Sailors will be boosted by the return of M.Anumanthan from suspension.
- The Stags have only won once in their last five meetings between the two sides, scoring just four goals while conceding 14.
- No other team has scored more goals in the first half than Tampines (8), while no other team has scored more goals in additional time than the Sailors (5).
- Both teams have a 100 per cent record where they have gone on to win after scoring first in the 2023 season.
- Faris Ramli and Boris Kopitovic are currently the league’s deadliest duo, having combined for three of Tampines’ goals.
- Sailors goalkeeper Zharfan Rohaizad has saved the most shots this season (27).
Faris Ramli and Boris Kopitovic celebrate after Tampines beat Albirex, 30 March 2023
Tigers keen to bounce back
Hougang United vs Brunei DPMM | 31 Mar | 8.30pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch H201
Team news: Shahdan Sulaiman remains sidelined but the Cheetahs will be boosted by the returns of key midfielder Kristijan Krajcek and Idraki Adnan from injuries.
Defender Nurikhwan Othman remains sidelined for the Bruneians but they will be boosted by the return of Yura Putera from suspension while forward Hakeme Yazid is available for selection again.
- Hougang United have managed the least shots this season (44) – albeit having played two games fewer.
- The Cheetahs have only managed four wins out of the 26 meetings between the two sides since 2012.
- Should the Cheetahs lose, they will be off to their worst start to the SPL season since 2018.
- DPMM and Geylang International have scored the most goals from corners so far (2) – albeit having played three games fewer than the Eagles.
- DPMM have the lowest pressing efficiency in the league so far at just 39 per cent.
- Hakeme Yazid is the only other player in the league to have made an attacking contribution – either a goal or an assist – in all of the matches he has played so far.
Young Lions hungry for another win
Tanjong Pagar vs Young Lions | 1 Apr | 8.30pm | Jurong East Stadium | Singtel Ch 112
Team news: Young Lions will be without full back Raoul Suhaimi.
Meanwhile, Jaguars skipper Faritz Hameed and Pedro Dias remain sidelined due to injury while Raihan Rahman will serve the first of his two match suspension. Team official Noh Alam Shah will serve the last of his five match stadium ban.
- Young Lions have only beaten the Jaguars seven times in 23 outings since the 2004 SPL season.
- Young Lions defender Jun Kobayashi has recorded the highest number of ball recoveries so far (42).
- Jaguars manager Hasrin Jailani has recorded the most win against Young Lions compared to any other club currently in the league – five wins since he was promoted to manager in October 2020.
- Tanjong Pagar have managed the least shots on target this season (13) – albeit having played two games fewer.
White Swans keen to bounce back
Geylang International vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 1 Apr | 8.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Zamani Zamri remains sidelined for the White Swans.
Meanwhile, Ahmad Syahir remains unavailable for the Eagles but Fadli Kamis is fully fit having recovered from injury.
- Geylang International have not beaten Albirex Niigata (S) in all competitions since a 1-0 win in the 2019 SPL season.
- Albirex manager Kazuaki Yoshinaga has never lost to Geylang International (eight wins and three draws) and Eagles manager Noor Ali (four wins and 3 draws) in all competitions.
- The Eagles have not kept a clean sheet in their past 12 matches across all competitions.
- Yushi Yamaya (52) and Vincent Bezecourt (31) are the league’s top two dribblers so far.