Singapore Premier League • April 4, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 7: Preview
Faritz Hameed and Amy Recha when the two sides last met in the league, 2 September 2022
SINGAPORE, 4 APRIL 2023 – Matchweek 7 kicks off tomorrow when Albirex Niigata (S) face Balestier Khalsa in what should be a high-scoring match. The Tigers have a double-fixture matchweek and will hope for at least one win out of two games with a battle against the Young Lions on the cards come Saturday.
Elsewhere, Hougang United will face Tanjong Pagar United on Good Friday Eve. The Cheetahs are struggling and will be keen to break their losing when they meet the Jaguars on Thursday.
White Swans on a goalscoring spree
Balestier Khalsa vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 5 Apr | 8.30pm | Bishan Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 204
Team news: Winger Masahiro Sugita is fit again having recovered from injury.
Zamani Zamri remains sidelined for the White Swans.
- The Tigers are win-less against the White Swans in their last 26 meetings, dating back to the 2016 SPL season.
- The Tigers have failed to keep a clean sheet in their past 21 games in all competitions.
- Albirex have a 100 per cent record where they have gone on to win after scoring first in the 2023 season.
- No other team has scored more goals in the second half than Albirex and Lion City Sailors (9).
- Koki Kawachi has the highest passing accuracy among all defenders in the league so far (89%).
- Seia Kunori, Riku Fukashiro and Shuto Komaki are the 6th, 7th and 8th player this season to record a goal and assist in the same match.
Koki Kawachi on the ball against Geylang International, 1 April 2023
Cheetahs chasing a win
Hougang United vs Tanjong Pagar United | 6 Apr | 8.30pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch H204
Team news: Shahdan Sulaiman remains sidelined for the Cheetahs.
Meanwhile, Jaguars skipper Faritz Hameed and Pedro Dias remain sidelined due to injury while defenders Raihan Rahman and Tajeli Salamt are suspended. Team official Noh Alam Shah will return to the dugout having completed his five match stadium ban.
- This fixture has ended in a draw in seven of the nine matches since the Jaguars returned to the SPL in the 2020 season.
- The Cheetahs are on a four-match losing streak, the longest of any club coming into this matchweek.
- The Cheetahs have made the least shots (57) and scored the least goals (5) this season.
- No other team has conceded more goals in the second half than Hougang United (9).
- Shakir Hamzah, along with Koki Kawachi and Rio Sakuma, are the highest scoring defenders so far with two goals each.
- The Jaguars have yet to record an away victory so far this season.
Shakir Hamzah in action, 24 Feb 2023
Tigers hoping for three points
Young Lions vs Balestier Khalsa | 8 Apr | 8.30pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch H202
Team news: Young Lions will be without full back Raoul Suhaimi while skipper Jacob Mahler will serve the first of his two match suspension.
- Tigers manager Peter De Roo has yet to lose to Young Lions since his appointment in September 2022.
- Tigers centre-forward Shuhei Hoshino has scored in five of the last six matches between the two sides across all competitions.
- Young Lions captain Harhys Stewart, who has scored in the last two matches, has only scored against three clubs currently playing in the SPL, including Balestier Khalsa.
- Harhys Stewart is the only non forward to have scored in consecutive games so far this season.
Shuhei Hoshino in action, 4 March 2023