Singapore Premier League • April 10, 2023
2023 Singapore Premier League Matchweek 8: Preview
Mirko Sugic and Keito Hariya when the two sides last met in the league, 27 August 2022
SINGAPORE, 10 APRIL 2023 – The 2023 Singapore Premier League (SPL) season continues today, with Hougang United searching for a win against the Lion City Sailors while Albirex Niigata (S) face Tanjong Pagar United in the first Jurong East derby of the season.
Meanwhile, Young Lions will face Brunei DPMM just three days after their last game and an exciting mid-table clash between Geylang International and Balestier Khalsa awaits at Our Tampines Hub.
Cheetahs under serious pressure
Hougang United vs Lion City Sailors | 10 Apr | 8.30pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Team news: Shahdan Sulaiman remains sidelined for the Cheetahs while Nazrul Nazari remains a doubt. Midfield linchpin Kristijan Krajcek is fit again having missed the last four matches due to injury.
Key striker Kodai Tanaka, goalkeeper Izwan Mahbud, defender Nur Adam Abdullah and youngster Anaqi Ismit are injured. Meanwhile, new signing Bernie Ibini-Isei is set to make his club debut.
- The Sailors have only lost once to Hougang United in their last nine meetings in all competitions – a 1-3 loss on Matchweek 3 of the 2021 SPL season.
- Sailors manager Risto Vidakovic has faced Hougang United once – a 0-1 loss back in 2017 when he was managing Philippine club Ceres-Negros FC.
- Sailors winger Shawal Anuar will make his 150th appearance in the SPL if he plays against his former side.
- Sailors winger Maxime Lestienne leads the way in assists (6) and ties Albirex forward Seia Kunori for the most goal contributions (9) this season.
- Sailors have scored the most goals from crosses so far (9), while Hougang have conceded the fewest goals from crosses (1) alongside Albirex Niigata (S).
- Hougang United have the worst shot conversion rate (8.8%) out of all the clubs this season.
- The Cheetahs are the only side in the SPL yet to record a home win this season.
Shawal Anuar in action, 18 March 2023
White Swans show no sign of slowing down
Tanjong Pagar United vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 10 Apr | 8.30pm |Jurong Eaast Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch H204
Team news: Jaguars skipper Faritz Hameed and Pedro Dias remain sidelined due to injury while defender Tajeli Salamt is suspended. Raihan Rahman is available for selection once again having completed his two-match suspension.
Meanwhile, Nicky Singh remains a doubt while Zamani Zamri is still injured.
- Tanjong Pagar United have beaten Albirex Niigata (S) four times and drawn twice in their past 10 meetings across all competitions.
- Jaguars midfielder Fathullah Rahmat is the youngest captain in the SPL this season, surpassing the feat set by Albirex skipper Asahi Yokokawa.
- Five out of eight (62.5%) of Tanjong Pagar’s goals have come from crosses – the highest proportion in the league.
- Having kept three consecutive clean sheets in their opening three matches, the White Swans have conceded in each of their last three matches.
- The White Swans have 9 different scorers, the most of any club this season.
- Seia Kunori is the first player this season to record at least a goal and an assist in the same game on more than one occasion.
Fathullah Rahmat in action, 6 April 2023
Can Young Lions move off the bottom of the table?
Young Lions vs Brunei DPMM | 11 Apr | 8.30pm | Jalan Besar Stadium | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch H204
Team news: Young Lions will be without full backs Raoul Suhaimi, Ilhan Noor and Andrew Aw due to injury while Harith Kanadi is suspended. They will be boosted by the return of skipper Jacob Mahler from suspension.
Defender Nurikhwan Othman remains sidelined for the Bruneians.
- Young Lions have yet to win DPMM in 22 attempts across all competitions.
- DPMM have scored the most goals from outside the box (4).
- Hakeme Yazid is the only other player in the league to have made an attacking contribution – either a goal or an assist – in all of the matches he has played so far.
Josip Balic scored DPMM’s fourth goal from outside the box in total against Hougang, 31 March 2023
Tough test for the Tigers
Geylang International vs Balestier Khalsa | 11 Apr | 8.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch H201
Team news: Captain Joshua Pereira is suspended having accumulated four yellow cards.
Shuhei Hoshino remains a doubt.
- Geylang International has won six times and lost four times to Balestier Khalsa in their past 10 meetings in the SPL.
- Forward Naufal Azman, who did not score a goal for Balestier Khalsa last season, has already scored two goals in seven games for the Eagles this season.
- Balestier Khalsa has the worst defensive record in the league so far.
- The Tigers have conceded the most goals from crosses (9).
- No other player has scored more goals from outside the box than Taniguchi so far this season (3).
Naufal Azman in action, 15 March 2023