News Singapore Premier League • February 22, 2019
Community Shield Preview: Albirex Niigata (S) vs Home United
SINGAPORE, 22 FEBRUARY 2019 – Is there a better way to start a new season than a clash between the league’s top two teams? We do not imagine so.
Tomorrow, Saturday 23 February, the 2019 Singapore Premier League (SPL) campaign will be kick-started by a Community Shield showdown between reigning champions Albirex Niigata (S) and Home United. We give a brief preview of the match…
Venue: Jalan Besar Stadium
As they have done in previous seasons, the White Swans have revamped their squad, save for four retained players. In a first, six local players have been signed: Hyrulnizam Juma’at, Noor Akid Nordin, Gerald Ang, Firas Irwan, Martens Daniel, Zamani Zamri. Noor Akid is ruled out with injury.
Home have bolstered their squad with Hami Syahin, Taufiq Muqminin and Adam Swandi, having retained the majority of their team. Song Ui-young, who was signed to a new contract, will be key to their chances of doing well this season.LAST 5 MEETINGS
03/10/18: Home 0-1 Albirex – Singapore Cup
26/09/18: Albirex 3-2 Home – Singapore Cup
12/08/18: Home 1-1 Albirex – Singapore Premier League
09/06/18: Albirex 3-0 Home – Singapore Premier League
18/04/18: Home 1-6 Albirex – Singapore Premier League
- Home are looking for a first Shield win in four attempts; Albirex are seeking a record-equalling fourth straight victory.
- The Protectors have failed to win any of their last nine matches against the White Swans.
- Only four of their previous 56 encounters have failed to see a goal and the five Singapore Premier League (SPL) matches between them last year saw 18 goals scored.
- Albirex did not lose any of the 24 matches in which they scored first in 2018, winning 23 of those.
- Hyrulnizam will play in the Shield for a third team if he takes to the pitch, having represented Singapore Armed Forces FC (now Warriors FC, in 2010) and Tampines Rovers (2014).
- Shahril Ishak and Juma’at Jantan took part in the first edition of the Shield in 2008.
What are you waiting for? Get your tickets for the Community Shield HERE!
Who are the new men in the dugout for 2019? Find out HERE!
The latest ins and outs in our Transfer Centre!
New Geylang man Barry Maguire can’t wait to get started!
Fareez Farhan makes Geylang switch
Two more Singaporean youngsters join Albirex!
Balestier appoint youngest ever SPL head coach
Faris Ramli back in Singapore with Hougang!
Coupling up: find out more about the shared stadiums initiative!
TOP SEVEN reasons to come to the Community Shield!