League Cup • July 22, 2014

DPMM Survive Penalty Shootout To Enter League Cup Final



Written By: Kenneth Ho

Brunei DPMM will contest in the Starhub League Cup 2014 Final against Tanjong Pagar United on Friday following their victory over Geylang International in a penalty shootout after being held to a scoreless draw in regulation time.

The Eagles frustrated DPMM for most part of the game in regulation and extra time, leaving the fates of both clubs in the shootout. Geylang failed to convert any of their chances, while DPMM scored three to gift them their third consecutive League Cup Final appearance.

Clear-cut chances were rare in this match, as Geylang set out stall to deny their opponents the luxury of space.

Even so, it was the Eagles who threatened first when Ridhuan Mohammad crossed one in from the right for Leonel Felice to scoop over the bar not too long after kick-off.

It was not to be another 25 minutes till the next noteworthy chance came, when Roberto Alviz – who had a good game with his crosses – nearly found his centre back Boris Raspudic at the far post with his free kick but unfortunately the latter was unable to get a touch on the ball.

Wardun Yussof was called into action on 32 minutes, when he dived down low to gather a low shot from Mustaqim but the effort was tame and never going to trouble the goalkeeper.

The half then ended with Felice attempting to force a opener by having a go from distance but his attempt went wide.

It was a much better showing from DPMM in the second half, although they still faced an unrelenting Geylang backline.

Two minutes after the restart, Roy O’Donovan was unable to find his way through the defence after receiving a lay-off from Adi Said at the edge of the box, so he instead hit a dipping shot which crashed off the bar.

The striker then drew a smart save from Joey Sim in the 67th minute when he took the ball with him into the seven-yard box and hit the first shot on target of the night for DPMM.

Alviz and Hendra Azam then saw their respective speculative shots from distance go wide as the game entered the final ten minutes of regulation time.

Geylang nearly found a winner just one minute before time was called when Felice forced a superb one-handed save from Wardun with his thumping header, after the striker had met Yuki Ichikawa’s cross.

In extra time, the game opened a little and Sim had to make a huge save in the 105th minute as he pushed away a piledriver by Azwan Ali.

Rodrigo Tosi missed two successive headers in the box in the second half of extra time, with the second chance being more wasteful as the unmarked Brazilian headed wide from six yards out.

It came down to penalties thereafter and DPMM were helped by Geylang failing to convert any of their chances as Wardun held his nerves to deny Felice and Hafiz Nor, while Khairulnizam Jumahat crashed his spot-kick against the bar.

While Tosi missed for his team, O’Donovan, Alviz and Joe Gamble all converted to give DPMM the win and a date with Tanjong Pagar in the tournament’s final.