Singapore Cup • November 27, 2015

DPMM Take Third Place In RHB Singapore Cup


Written By: Kenneth Ho

Brunei DPMM ensured their season ended on a good note as they claimed the second runner-ups position in the RHB Singapore Cup 2015 after beating Global FC 3-1.

The Wasps had taken the lead through Hendra Azam in the 29th minute, and they held onto it even though Global threatened to make a comeback through Dennis Villanueva in the second half.

DPMM should have opened the scoring as early as the sixth minute when Sergio only had Patrick Deyto to beat but the goalkeeper kept out his low shot.

Strike partner Rafael Ramazotti was equally guilty of missing a good chance seven minutes later, when he contrived to lash the ball wide despite a gaping goal when Deyto mistakenly sent the ball to him.

Global then enjoyed several chances of their own, but they failed to hit the target, especially in the 24th minute when Mark Hartmann found the wrong side of the post after breaking free.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 29th minute, when DPMM earned a free-kick at the edge of the box and Hendra curled a beautifully-flighted shot past Deyto.

Global could have equalised four minutes later when Hartmann found Villanueva at the near post but the latter’s diving header flew wide.

Sergio failed to extend DPMM’s lead in the 40th minute after being put through on goal but he would get onto the score sheet three minutes later.

From a corner, Ramazotti had seen his header pushed away but Daisuke Sato was then penalised for a handball infringement and Sergio duly dispatched the resulting spot-kick to make it 2-0.

With nothing to lose, Global came out of the break determined to make a comeback and it saw them pulling a goal back within four minutes of the restart.

Daisuke Sato made amends for his earlier mistake by providing a cross to Dennis Villanueva and the Global midfielder duly headed past Wardun to make it 2-1.

The Philippines side then thought they had pulled level in the 62nd minute but Misagh Bahadoran’s goal was chalked off as he was adjudged to have been offside.

Two minutes later, their misery were further compounded as DPMM regained their two-goal lead, after Boris Raspudic stabbed home from close range.

That blow took the wind out of Global’s sail, and they struggled to really threaten DPMM thereafter.

Global would enjoy only another chance in the 85th minute, but even then Wardun was given an easy save to make as he clung onto Hartmann’s header.

The full-time whistle soon came as DPMM claimed third spot to cap off a season which has also seen them securing their first-ever Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League title.

Global FC: Patrick Deyto (GK), Matthew Hartmann (Richard Jr. Talaroc 83′), Dennis Villanueva, Misagh Bahadoran (C), Daisuke Sato, Amani Aguinaido, Mario Clarino (Paulo Salenga 86′), Mark Hartmann, Masaki Yanagawa, Jerry Barbaso, Yu Hoshide

Brunei DPMM: Wardun Yussof (GK), Brian McLean, Azwan Ali (Adi Said 75′), Azwan Saleh (Helmi Zambin 38′), Paulo Sergio, Boris Raspudic, Najib Tarif, Hendra Azam (Maududi Hilmi 59′), Rosmin Kamis (C), Aminuddin Zakwan, Rafael Ramazotti