Singapore Premier League • October 24, 2015

DPMM Unrelentless In Title Charge


Written By: Kenneth Ho

Brunei DPMM continued their march towards a first-ever Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League title after a 2-0 win over Harimau Muda on Friday evening.

DPMM are now six and nine points ahead of closest rivals Balestier Khalsa and Tampines Rovers respectively, although the Stags do have two games in hand.

It was an efficient display by DPMM to secure the three points up for grabs, with both goals coming in the first half through Brian McLean and Rafael Ramazotti at the Hang Jebat Stadium.

Right from kick-off, it seemed as though the Young Tigers were in for a tough game as DPMM created several scoring opportunities in the opening ten minutes.

Maududi Hilmi was first to test Harimau goalkeeper Farhan Abu Bakar after only two minutes had lapsed but his weak shot was gathered by Farhan Abu Bakar.

Azwan Ali came close next but his shot from distance was spilled by Farhan before the goalkeeper quickly gathered the loose ball. Paulo Sergio then blasted on after running through on goal in the eighth minute.

However, their bright start faltered as Harimau began to sit deep and play on the counter..

Despite adopting a defensive game, the hosts still had a chance to go ahead in the 19th minute when Adam Nor met Syazwan Andik’s free-kick but he directed his header onto the bar instead.

They were made to pay for that miss on the half-hour mark, as McLean leaped the highest to head in Azwan Ali’s free-kick and give DPMM the lead.

The Wasps doubled the advantage six minutes later through a howler by Farhan after he contrived to send a goal-kick towards Ramazotti, and the striker calmly placed the ball beyond the goalkeeper’s reach..

Sergio had a chance to etch his name onto the scoresheet just before the stroke of half-time but his curler was punched away by Farhan.

The Young Tigers nearly came back into the game four minutes after the restart but were unfortunate not to do so.

A scorcher by Amirul Hisyam came off the post and Wardun Yussof had to catch the ball before it crossed the line after it ricocheted off his back and crept towards goal.

Eager to maintain their two-goal advantage, DPMM eased their foot off the gas pedal and pressed forward cautiously.

However, they were unlucky not to score in the 52nd minute as Sergio headed a corner wide before Maududi was denied by Farhan six minutes later.

DPMM goalkeeper Wardun was then called upon to tip over Adam’s dipping volley from 30 yards out just after the hour mark.

Another chance came for DPMM to extend their lead 10 minutes from time but Farhan did well to catch Sergio’s snap-shot after the striker had combined with Ramazotti to find space just inside the box.

Staring at defeat, Harimau became more reckless with their desire to earn possession and it resulted in Amirul receiving his marching orders deep in injury time after he got a second yellow for fouling Rosmin Kamis.

Harimau Muda: Farhan Abu Bakar (GK), Ariff Farhan, Amirul Hisyam (C), Adam Nor, Syazwan Andik (Kenny Palraj 80′), Syawal Nordin, Asri Mardzuki, Faizat Ghazali, Arif Anwar (Kumaahran Sathasivam46′), Akhir Bahari (Syahrul Azwari 68′), Annas Rahmat

Brunei DPMM: Wardun Yussof (GK), Sairol Sahari, Brian McLean, Azwan Ali Paulo Sergio, Joseph Gamble, Maududi Hilmi (Amnuddin Zakwan 80′), Rosmin Kamis (C) (Hendra Azam 90′), Helmi Zambin, Boris Raspudic, Rafael Ramazotti