News • February 26, 2016

Eagles Clinch First Win Of The Campaign



Written by: Khalis Rifhan

A goal each by Branko Cubrilo and Faritz Hameed helped Geylang International to seal their first three points of the 2016 Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League campaign in front of 2,416 fans at the Jalan Besar Stadium on Thursday evening.

Although the visitors dominated most of the proceedings, the Young Lions showed glimpses of what they are capable of, coming close to reducing the deficit in the latter stages of the match.

The Eagles made full use of the flanks in the build up to their attacks with Faritz Hameed and Safirul Sulaiman making endless runs on the right and left side of the field respectively.

It was Safirul who got the first shot on goal in the match as he tried his luck from distance in the 13th minute, but it did not cause much trouble for Young Lions goalkeeper Zharfan Rohaizad.

The Eagles wasn’t be too worried about that attempt however, as they opened the scoring a minute later.

Faritz made a marauding run on the right side of the flank before crossing it into the danger zone for Cubrilo to tap it in for the visitors’ first goal.

Faritz could have put his name on the scoresheet again in the first-half, but shot straight at Zharfan after receiving the ball from Cubrilo at the edge of the box in the 29th minute.

Trailing by a goal, the hosts pushed numbers forward for the equaliser. Adam Swandi’s powerful header from inside the penalty box went wide while Muhelmy Suhaimi’s low driven attempt was denied by Geylang custodian Syazwan Buhari towards the end of the first half.

The second-half saw several changes to both sides. Geylang’s coach Hasrin Jailani decided his team needed fresh legs six minutes after the restart, bringing on the speedy Gabriel Quak for Taufiq Ghani while the Young Lions brought on Gareth Low for Zakir Shamsudin in the 59th minute.

Quak was a constant menace for the Young Lions’ defence who had Zharfan to thank, as the 19-year-old custodian denied the Eagles on several occasions.

But there was no stopping Geylang from doubling their lead in the 66th minute when Faritz coolly slotted the ball home from close range, connecting with Quak’s low cross across the face of the goal.

Geylang’s second goal however, did not dampen the Young Lions’ spirit as they surged forward in an attempt to reduce the deficit.

Captain Firdaus Kasman was denied a goal in the 73rd minute as his shot from distance was tipped over the bar by Geylang’s Syazwan.

The visitors could have added more goals in the closing stages of the game but substitute Sahil Suhaimi and Faritz failed to find the target from close range.

Garena Young Lions coach Patrick Hesse: “Some of our key players is at school and [Khairul] Amri is injured. It is difficult but we know this before. We don’t [let] our head down and continue to work very hard.”

“I am sure this team would progress and in a few years several of these players [will be] playing with the national team.”

Geylang International coach Hasrin Jailani: “The scoreline is not important as this is a league and the season is very long. A win is a win for me. I know that we created chances and we can score more goals. But at the end of the day, we have to come back to training and to [work] on the finishing.”

Garena Young Lions: Zharfan Rohaizad (GK), Ammirul Emmran, Fareez Farhan (Ryan Syaffiq 78’), Hami Syahin , Adam Swandi, Zakir Shamsudin (Gareth Low 59’), Firdaus Kasman (C), Shafeeq Faruk (Zulqarnaen Suzliman 63’), Taufiq Muqminin Hossain, Muhelmy Suhaimi, Rusyaidi

Geylang International: Syazwan Buhari (GK), Yuki Ichikawa, Daniel Bennett, Faritz Hameed, Safirul Sulaiman, Stanley Ng, Branko Cubrilo (Sahil Suhaimi 78’), Al-Qaasimy Rahman, Carlos Delgado, Nor Azli Yussof (C) (Isa Halim 80’), Taufiq Ghani (Gabriel Quak 52’)