Singapore Premier League • August 26, 2014

Eagles Make It Two On The Trot


Written by: Muhammad Yazid

Geylang International are making a strong finish to the end of the Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League Round Two after a second consecutive win following a 2-1 victory over Tanjong Pagar United.

The Jaguars’ had to make a comeback from the first-half to cancel out Leonel Felice’s opener, but the equaliser by Firdaus Idros was insufficient for the hosts to get a result as the former struck again to get Geylang the win.

The Eagles could not have started the game in a better way as they drew first blood with their first chance of the game, four minutes into it.

Mustaqim Manzur whipped in a free-kick from 40 yards out to the danger area and Felice rose the highest to steer his header into the bottom corner of the net.

That was the only piece of action in the first half as they game was very much stuck in the middle of the park. Tanjong Pagar’s midfielders Sazali Salleh and Tengku Mushadad did not yield much space, and their Geylang counterparts Fabian Kwok and Franco Chivilo did likewise.

The restart however was a different story as the Jaguars almost equalised in the 52nd minute when Asraf Rashid’s corner was well met by Firdaus but it cleared off the line by Mustaqim.

Five minutes later, Sebastien Etiemble was left scratching his head after he missed one of the best chance in the game following a blunder by Joey Sim.

The custodian found himself under pressure and unintentionally gave the ball away to Etiemble but the Frenchman tried to be fanciful and insisted on rounding Joey instead of tapping the ball into an open net, and that backfired spectacularly as his following effort was charged down.

Etiemble did make up for his mistake by providing his team with an assist just a minute later by whipping in a cross for Firdaus as the winger took a few touches before guiding the ball past Joey Sim.

However, the Eagles regained the lead in the 61stt minute through Felice once again, as the striker powered a low free-kick from 30 yards.

They could have scored another two minutes later when Ridhuan Muhammad bolted down the right flank before executing a deep cross for Hafiz Nor to blast home but the attempt rocked the crossbar.

Tanjong Pagar pressed hard for an equaliser, but there was none forthcoming in the remaining time left as the Eagles went home with their heads held high.