News • June 24, 2016

Eagles Stage Late Comeback To Claim Victory Against Protectors


Written by: Shawn Lim

Two late goals helped Geylang International come from behind to defeat Home United 2-1 at Bishan Stadium on Thursday night in a game where the visitors were thoroughly dominated by the hosts.

Home had looked on course for victory after Shahrin Saberin had given them the lead, but the Eagles stormed back through Sahil Suhaimi and Gabriel Quak in stoppage time to extend the Protectors’ winless run to four games.

Early pressure from the Protectors saw the Eagles having to do a lot of chasing in their own defensive third and the hosts came a fraction away from scoring the opening goal two minutes in when Khairul Nizam laid the ball off for Ken Ilso, who was arriving late on the edge of the box.


The Dane took his shot first time, but saw his fierce drive pushed away by Geylang custodian Syazwan Buhari.

The Protectors came close again in the sixth minute when Ambroise Begue’s low cross into the 18-yard box found Azhar Sairudin, but the latter dragged his shot wide.

Syazwan produced another top-drawer save in the 20th minute, this time getting down well at his near post to palm away Ilso’ dipping free-kick.


Quick and nifty feet from Ilso eight minutes later helped the Protectors captain leave Brandon Koh and Nor Azli Yusoff for dead as he surged unchallenged into the box, but the Dane skewed his effort high and wide.

Home custodian Zulfairuz Rudy was not tested until a minute before the break when a quickly taken free-kick from Sahil Suhaimi near the centre-circle sent Faritz Hameed through on goal and the goalkeeper did well to cover his angles to prevent the Geylang player from getting his shot on target.

The Eagles started on the front foot after the interval and had a glorious to break the deadlock in the 48th minute, but Carlos Delgado’s free-kick from the left flank came crashing off the frame of the goal.


The hosts finally found the breakthrough two minutes later when Nizam kept Zulfahmi Arifin’s delivery from a corner alive at the byline and headed the ball back into the box for Shahrin to volley the ball home.

Home could have doubled their lead in the 66th minute when left-back Redzwan Atan powered his way through a sea of Geylang players before sending Nizam through on goal, but Syazwan stood tall to force the striker to shoot into the foot of post.

Syazwan continued to stand in Home’s way as they attempted to increase their lead, producing two wonderful saves in quick succession to deny Begue at point-blank, before beating away Ilso’s follow-up in the 87th minute.

The match began to open up as the Eagles sought an unlikely equaliser and they pulled level a minute from time when Sahil’s looping header over Zufairuz was deemed to have crossed the line by the referee.

Geylang’s smash-and-grab operation was completed in the dying seconds of the game when Home failed to deal with Faritz’s free-kick, allowing substitute Shariff Samad to head the ball into the path of Quak, who swept home with his first touch.

Home United coach Philippe Aw: “I am very disappointed because the team played well, dominated proceedings and created so many chances.

“But we failed to convert our dominance and failed to deal with two long balls. We should have closed up the game earlier, so we only have ourselves to blame.”


Geylang International Hasrin Jailani: “I don’t think we played well. The first-half was rubbish and the second-half we were also not in control.

“I personally felt a draw would have been good. I consider ourselves very lucky but it is a very important win for us as we prepare for our next Singapore Cup game against Albirex.”

Home United: Zulfairuz Rudy (GK), Redzwan Atan, Abdil Qaiyyim, Shahrin Saberin (Sim Teck Yi 83′), Shamil Sharif, Song Uiyoung (Zulfahmi Arifin 30′), Azhar Sairudin, Syahiran Miswan, Ambroise Begue, Khairul Nizam (Haziq Azman 67′), Ken Ilso (C)

Geylang International: Syazwan Buhari (GK), Yuki Ichikawa, Daniel Bennett, Faritz Hameed, Al-Qaasimy Rahman, Nor Azli Yusoff (C) (Shariff Samat 79′), Brandon Koh (Isa Halim 46′), Carlos Delgado (Stanely Ng 66′), Gabriel Quak, Sahil Suhaimi, Amy Recha