Singapore Premier League • May 2, 2014

Felice’s Late Goal Rescues Point For Eagles


Written By: Kenneth Ho

A late goal by Leonel Felice allowed Geylang International to share the spoils with Tanjong Pagar United after a 1-1 stalemate at Bedok Stadium on Thursday evening.

Ruzaini Zainal’s opener in the 47th minute was cancelled out by the Argentinean eight minutes before the end as Geylang maintained their undefeated streak under the reins of coach Jorg Steinebrunner.

Neither side’s goalkeepers were really tested in the first half, as both teams failed to make their chances count.

Tanjong Pagar’s Ruzaini Zainal came close within ten minutes of the start with a 15-yard shot cannoning off the crossbar, while Masrezwan flashed one past the post just before the break.

The Eagles were just as wasteful as the visitors, with Aliff Shafaein blazing over the best chance of the half when he was left unmarked in the box and had the goal at his mercy in the 28th minute.

Felice had an equally good chance minutes later but he could only glance a free header past the post.

The second half witnessed a more open game, as the Jaguars struck two minutes after the restart to give the visitors the lead.

Tengku Mushadad found Ruzaini at the far post with his set-piece delivery and the latter rammed in a strong effort past Geylang goalkeeper Joey Sim.

Instead of letting their heads fall, the Eagles reacted positively and started to pile the pressure on Tanjong Pagar.

However, the home side found an imperious Tanjong Pagar goalkeeper Aurelien Herisson in their way, as the custodian made numerous saves to keep them at bay.

Herisson was called upon to push away Ridhuan Muhammad’s header before having to keep out a low shot from Felice in the space of three minutes.

Felice then had his head in his hands as time increasingly ticked away when he saw his looping header come off the woodwork in the 76th minute.

However, the striker soon made amends for his earlier miss as he rushed forward to meet Ridhuan’s cross and head it past Herisson in the 82nd minute.

The Eagles tried to force a winner thereafter but Tanjong Pagar stood firm in the face of the unrelenting pressure and both sides had to settle for a point after four minutes of additional time.

Photo: Geylang International vs Woodlands Wellington (26 Apr 2014)