News • May 29, 2017

Laboravy-Inspired Boeung Ket Advance To Last Eight


Written by: Phoon Jia Hui

Cambodian outfit Boeung Ket FC sealed a place in the quarter-finals of the RHB Singapore Cup 2017 after a 4-1 victory over Warriors FC in a Preliminary Round match at the Choa Chu Kang Stadium on Monday night.

A hat-trick from Boeung Ket captain Khuon Laboravy’s coupled with Esoh Omogba’s strike rendered Hafiz Nor’s goal inconsequential as the Blue Dragon progressed at the expense of Warriors.

The home side could however have built a healthy lead had they not spurned the chances they created in the opening exchanges.

Syaqir Sulaiman nearly opened the scoring in the fourth minute but Boeung Ket custodian Sou Yaty tipped his header over the bar.

Khiev Vibol then flashed one wide of the left-hand post at the other end moments later before Joel Tshibamba fired across the face of goal in the 16th minute.

Razif Onn’s side came close again in the 25th minute when Baihakki Khaizan nodded over from close range after connecting with Shahril Ishak’s freekick.

Omogba was proving to be a thorn in the Warriors defence with his darting runs and one such occasion almost saw Boeung Ket score, but there was no white shirt in the box to capitalise.

Yaty would keep his side in the game with a flying save in the 36th minute to prevent Shahril’s goalbound freekick from going in.

Warriors were presented with another opportunity to take the lead on 54 minutes but Tshibamba saw his header off Emmeric Ong’s cross pushed around the post for a corner.

They were made to rue that miss as the floodgates opened shortly after.

Omogba finished with aplomb after latching onto Ajayi Samuel’s excellent through pass in the 55th minute before an unmarked Laboravy headed home at the far post just a minute later.

Shahril could have pulled one back for Warriors on the hour mark after he found himself in acres of space in the box but contrived to poke over with only the keeper to beat.

Things then got worse for the nine-time Great Eastern-Hyundai S.League champions as defender Baihakki received his second bookable offence and was sent off.

And it was three goals to the good to the visitors on 75th minute as Laboravy sprang the offside trap before chipping the ball over an onrushing Hyrulnizam Juma’at.

Warriors were handed a lifeline in the 78th minute with Hafiz Nor reducing the deficit by slotting the ball underneath Yaty after a pass from teammate Hafiz Osman.

But all hopes of a comeback were extinguished six minutes from time when Laboravy rounded Hyrulnizam before slotting into an empty net to seal the win for Boeung Ket, their first in this competition.

Warriors FC Head Coach Razif Onn: “In football, it’s all about the focus and concentration throughout the 90 minutes. The first goal that came was demoralising. The second came after a minute and we tried to buffer that area.

“They tried to attack down the left so I switched Ridhuan (Muhammad) there. We tried to play four at the back, but it was very hard considering the speed of our opponents.

“From the previous matches we play, I realised we don’t take the chances we created and it’s still a problem for us. We can score but we also concede many at the other end and that’s not acceptable. We missed key players today but that’s no excuse.”

Boeung Ket FC Head Coach Hao Socheat: “We played very well today; the team showed good understanding and combination with each other, from goalkeeper all the way to the strikers. But there’s still room for improvement, especially our defence and midfield.

“Of course Warriors had a host of chances today but they missed. Warriors lacked a bit of luck today, but we had better luck with finishing the chances today.

“It’s our second time playing in Singapore Cup and I’m pleased we won the game. The target for now is to take it step by step and one game at a time. We don’t know who our next opponents are but I’m looking forward to the next round.”

Warriors FC: Hyrulnizam Juma’at (GK), Emmeric Ong, Baihakki Khaizan (C), Syaqir Sulaiman (Poh Yi Feng 84’), Zulfadli Zainal, Ridhuan Muhammad, Hafiz Osman, Kento Fukuda, Hafiz Nor (Fazli Jaffar 85’), Shahril Ishak, Joel Tshibamba (Clay Mathew 72’)

Boeung Ket FC: Sou Yaty (GK), Ly Vahed (Touch Pancharong 76’), Hikaru Mizuno (Sath Rosib 90’), Khuon Laboravy (C), Chhun Sothearath, Ly Mizan (Math Yamoin 86’), Sun Sovanrithy, Rous Samoeum, Esoh Omogba, Ajayi Samuel