Singapore Premier League • September 19, 2014

Moura Nets Brace As Hougang Sink Woodlands


Written by: Muhammad Yazid

Hougang United returned to winning ways in the Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League as they clinched a 3-0 victory over Woodlands Wellington in a bottom-half-of-the-table clash at Woodlands Stadium  on Thursday evening.

Geison Moura bagged two goals while Nurhilmi Jasni also got onto the scoresheet to hand Hougang all three points in the first game of the final round of the league.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 12th minute with their first chance of the game, through Moura who accomplished the simplest of tasks by finding the net from just a couple of yards out after the Woodlands defence failed to clear Fazli Jaffar’s corner to safety.

That goal seemed to have disrupted the tempo of the game, as both teams started to struggle in surging forward.

But after much trying, the Cheetahs found the breakthrough once again and doubled their lead nine minutes before half-time, this time through Nurhilmi.

Azhar Sairudin’s free-kick from the middle was met by Igor Cerina and the latter directed his header towards the path of Jasni who then headed into the back of the net to give his side a two-goal cushion.

The Rams failed to pose any threat in the final third throughout the first-half as the Hougang defence stood firm with Cerina and Wahyudi Wahid marshaling in the heart of defence.

Woodlands were on the other hand keen in getting back into the game after the interval, as coach Salim Moin deployed a three-man attack consisting of Chang Jo Yoon, Moon Soon Ho, and Stefan Milojevic.

The tactical change seemed to pay dividends as Chang almost reduced the deficit, if not for his effort which bounced wide off the post.

Things got worse for Woodlands as Hougang made it three in the 58th minute through Moura, who completed his brace thanks to a blunder by Ahmadulhaq Che Omar.

The goalkeeper mis-kicked his clearance and the ball fell into the path of Moura, who gleefully tapped the ball into an open net.

The Cheetahs still went in search for more goals to sink the hosts to a heavier defeat, but that was also when the Woodlands defence started to get back on their feet.

Moon got into a scoring position but failed to put the ball into the back of the net when his shot off Chang’s low cross sailed way over the crossbar.

Chang then saw his header reach safely into Fadhil Salim’s palms before Milos Jevtic’s powerful header was parried away by the custodian.

With the win, Hougang are now a step closer to securing seventh place as another victory would mean that it will be mathematically impossible for the other teams in the bottom half of the table to catch up with them.