League Cup • July 9, 2014

Protectors’ Bombardment Gun Down Rams


Written by: Khalis Rifhan

Home United recovered from a goal down to turn the table on Woodlands Wellington and run away 6-1 victors in their StarHub League Cup Group C opener at the Woodlands Stadium on Tuesday evening.

With the two side playing out a goalless draw two weeks ago in the Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League, a tight affair was expected in their latest encounter. So, when the Rams took the lead through Chang Jo Yoon in the sixth minute, an upset seem inevitable.

A long ball from defence released Chang in the final third. Chang and Moon Soonho then made passes between them in the box and the move was finished off by the former who curled it to the bottom corner.

But the Protectors had other idea and were determined to spoil the Rams’ celebratory mood after the opening goal. Former South Korean international Lee Kwan Woo led their revival as he struck the equalising goal six minute before the interval.

Coach Lee’s pep talk in the dressing room paid dividend as his charges blitzed in five goals after the break. Woodlands were undone by their own strategy as their ultra-attacking mindset allowed their opponents to creep through the cracks left behind when the Rams ventured forward.

Qiu Li put his team in the lead in style as he zoomed in on goal from distance and his  speculative effort ricocheted off the underside of the bar and into the back of the net to put Home 2-1 up in the 46th minute.

The Protectors did not have to wait long for their next goal as they took a two-goal cushion eight minutes later courtesy of Kwon Dakyung header from close range.

With confidence beaming throughout the visitors’ squad, Woodlands defence were breached again and they conceded three more goals in the final quarter of the match.

Home’s fourth goal of the night came in spectacular fashion as Yasir Hanapi hit a thumping first-time volley from the edge of the box that rocketed past the flailing arms of Yazid Yasin in goal for the Rams in the 71st minute.

The visitors showed no sympathy as they pounced again two minutes later courtesy of Bruno Castanheira. Ex-Singapore skipper Indra Sahdan Daud capped off a memorable night for the Bishan-based club as his free kick took a wicked deflection and landed in the net for Home’s sixth and final goal of the night.

Woodlands ended the match with ten man as referee Jansen Foo flashed the red card to Milos Jevtic for an off-the-ball incident.

Despite the loss, Salim Moin’s side still has the opportunity to make the quarter-final berth as they face National Football League side Singapore Recreation Club (SRC) on 11 July. Home, who currently top Group C is near certain of progression to the next round and will face SRC three days later.