Singapore Premier League • July 24, 2019
Singapore Premier League Week 19: Preview
SINGAPORE, 24 JULY 2019 – With only seven points separating first from fourth and all four teams in action this weekend, this could be a crucial round of matches. Albirex Niigata (S) are well-placed to capitalise on any slip-up on leaders Brunei DPMM, who could see their three-point advantage evaporate if they lose to Home United. Tampines Rovers will wipe out the two-point gap between them and Hougang United if they can beat the Cheetahs, while Young Lions go searching for a fifth win of the season against an ailing Balestier Khalsa side. We take a more in-depth look at this weekend’s matches…
Geylang vs Albirex | 26 July | 7.45 PM | Our Tampines Hub | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Albirex have the opportunity to draw level on points with DPMM at the top with victory here and are at full strength bar the injured Noor Akid Nordin. Geylang have taken one point from their last three games.
– Geylang have scored in only two of their last ten encounters against Albirex (three goals in total).
– Geylang have five wins so far this season, the same number they tallied for the whole of last season.
– Christopher van Huizen has recorded four assists in his last two games.
– Albirex are win-less in two games.
Home vs DPMM | 27 July | 5.30 PM | Bishan | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Adam Swandi is out of action for the rest of the season, while Rudy Khairullah and Izzdin Shafiq are still not fit enough. Hami Syahin is suspended for the Protectors. It remains to be seen whether first-choice DPMM goalkeeper Wardun Yussof can recover in time.
– Home are win-less in two games and have conceded nine goals in their last three matches.
– Home is the only team yet to score a headed goal this season; DPMM have scored eight, joint-most in the league.
– Andrei Varankou scored on both occasions DPMM played Home this season.
– DPMM have won once in their last five away games (D2 L2).
– Blake Ricciuto has scored in each of his last three games.
Hougang vs Tampines | 27 July | 5.30 PM | Jalan Besar | fas.org.sg/live2
Team news: M Anumanthan is still a couple of weeks away from a return to action for the Cheetahs, while Syazwan Buhari should recover in time to take his place in the Stags’ goal.
– Hougang are looking for a third consecutive win.
– Hougang have 14 different scorers in the league; no other team has more than 11.
– Hougang have scored five penalties this season, the most of any team in the league.
– Tampines are unbeaten against Hougang in their last eight encounters, winning seven of those.
– Faris Ramli and Zehrudin Mehmedović have both scored in each of the two games between these sides this season.
– Jordan Webb has scored in each of his last seven league games, the best such streak in the league this season.
Young Lions vs Balestier | 28 July | 5.30 PM | Jalan Besar | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Haiqal Pashia is suspended for the hosts, while Hazzuwan Halim is available for Balestier after completing a six-game ban.
– Young Lions have won once in their last ten encounters against Balestier.
– Šime Žužul has scored in each of his last four games, tallying five goals.
– Žužul has eight goals this season; no Balestier player has scored more than eight times in a season since 2016.
– Balestier have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their last 12 league games, their worst such streak since October 2016.