Singapore Premier League • July 31, 2019
Singapore Premier League Week 20: Preview
SINGAPORE, 31 JULY 2019 – With Albirex Niigata (S) not involved this weekend, both Tampines Rovers and Hougang United can overtake the Japanese side and move closer to Brunei DPMM. The leaders will look to get back to winning ways, while the Young Lions have another opportunity to move further away from the bottom two. We take a more in-depth look at this weekend’s matches…
DPMM vs Geylang | 2 Aug | 8.15 PM | Hassanal Bolkiah | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Azwan Ali Rahman sits this out for the hosts due to suspension as they prepare to play their first home game in a month. Star striker Andrei Varankou remains a doubt with a hamstring problem. Geylang are buoyant from their scalp of Albirex last week and will hope to cause an upset here as well.
– DPMM are undefeated in their last 11 games at home, winning nine of those – including their last three in a row.
– Zikos Chua has scored three match-winning goals this season; no other player has more.
– Geylang have not won against DPMM in their last five encounters, losing four of those.
– Geylang have scored from four corner-kick situations this season, joint-most in the league; DPMM is the only team yet to concede at a corner.
– Both teams have scored eight headed goals, joint-most in the league.
Tampines vs Home | 3 Aug | 5.30 PM | Our Tampines Hub | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Tampines will go second in the table with victory and will look to the league’s form player, Jordan Webb, to spearhead their attack. Home claimed an impressive scalp of DPMM last time out and will aim to derail the Stags’ title charge.
– The last two encounters between these two sides have produced six goals each.
– Webb has scored in each of his last eight games (10 goals total), the best such individual streak this season.
– Shahril Ishak has two goals and two assists from his last three games.
Warriors vs Young Lions | 3 Aug | 5.30 PM | Jurong East | fas.org.sg/live2
Team news: Warriors have the opportunity to leapfrog Young Lions into eighth spot with victory as they return to action after a two-week break.
– Warriors’ last clean sheet came against Young Lions, eight games ago.
– Warriors have scored 10 goals in their last four home games.
– Jonathan Behe and Gabriel Quak have each scored in both of Warriors’ previous encounters against Young Lions this season.
– Young Lions have won on all five occasions they have taken the lead in a match this season.
– Young Lions have equalled last season’s tally of five wins.
Balestier vs Hougang | 4 Aug | 5.30 PM | Bishan | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Goalkeeper Naqiuddin Nodin is injured for the hosts, while Illyas Lee remains a doubt. Nurullah Hussein is suspended, while Hougang also have Nazrul Nazari unavailable for the same reason.
– Hougang have won 1-0 against Balestier in each of their last two encounters.
– Stipe Plazibat has three goals and two assists in his last five games.
– Balestier have failed to win any of their last nine games, losing eight of those.
– Balestier have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their last 13 league games, their worst such streak since October 2016.