News Singapore Premier League • October 16, 2020
Singapore Premier League Week 5: Preview
SINGAPORE, 16 OCTOBER 2020 – At long last, the AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) is back this weekend after an enforced hiatus of over 200 days. First up on Saturday, leaders Tampines Rovers host Hougang United while Tanjong Pagar United entertain Balestier Khalsa. The following evening sees Lion City Sailors and Young Lions seeking their first wins against Geylang International and Albirex Niigata (S) respectively. All LIVE on our Facebook page!
Hasrin targets winning start at Jaguars
Tanjong Pagar United vs Balestier Khalsa | 17 Oct | 5.30pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 204
Team news: Attackers Luiz Junior and Syahadat Masnawi should miss out due to injury and National Service (NS) commitments respectively while experienced defender Delwinder Singh is suspended for the hosts.
Newly-appointed head coach Hasrin Jailani can call upon mid-season signing Zulkiffli Hassim, while midfielder Raihan Rahman is also in line to make his debut against his former employers. The Jaguars have also signed midfielder Ammirul Emmran.
On the other hand, Balestier do not have any major personnel issues to contend with.
- Tanjong Pagar are targeting their first win since defeating Harimau Muda B 5-0 in October 2014.
- Balestier have won the last four encounters.
- Brazilian defender Yann Motta has accounted for two of Tanjong Pagar’s three goals this season.
Hougang face tough visit to OTH
Tampines Rovers vs Hougang United | 17 Oct | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: Tampines will miss captain Yasir Hanapi and winger Joel Chew due to suspension and NS respectively, but mid-season signings Baihakki Khaizan and Fazrul Nawaz are available to add some experience to the line-up.
Hougang have a largely fit squad to call upon, with mid-season arrivals Emmeric Ong and Lionel Tan ready to add some steel to the backline. Naufal Azman has also joined, while Justin Hui is back from a long injury lay-off and in line to make his first appearance since March 2019.
- Tampines have lost just one of their last 19 league games at OTH.
- Hougang are yet to keep a clean sheet after six games in all competitions in 2020.
- Tampines have won nine and drawn one out of their last ten encounters.
- Hougang’s last win against the Stags came in August 2016 in a 2-1 triumph at Jurong West.
- Since Hougang’s inception in 2011, there have been no goal-less draws in this fixture.
Stipe Plazibat eyes winning debut
Lion City Sailors vs Geylang International | 18 Oct | 5.30pm | Bishan | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Team news: New star man and current top scorer Stipe Plazibat is set to make his Sailors bow, while Adam Swandi is also ready for selection after recovering from a serious knee injury sustained in July 2019.
However, Aurelio Vidmar will miss the services of Zulqarnaen Suzliman (NS), Ho Wai Loon, Iqram Rifqi and Amiruldin Asraf (all injuries).
As for Geylang, new signing Safirul Sulaiman will be available but Joshua Pereira and Noor Ariff are ruled out due to NS. Towering defender Adam Hakeem was also added to their roster earlier this week.
- Geylang can record three straight wins for the first time since August 2019.
- Geylang have lost the last nine encounters against the Sailors’ predecessor, Home United.
- Plazibat has scored five goals against Geylang since 2016.
Can Young Lions get off the mark?
Young Lions vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 18 Oct | 5.30pm | Jurong West
Team news: The Young Lions are bolstered by new signing Zamani Zamri but will miss up to nine players due to NS.
As for Albirex, the only absentee will be young winger Daniel Goh, who enlisted for National Service back in June. Fairoz Hasan could make his debut for the White Swans.
- Young Lions are looking to avoid four straight defeats for the first time since June 2018.
- Seven out of eight Albirex’s goals so far have been scored in the second half.
- Albirex have won the last 12 encounters.
- Young Lions last defeated Albirex in November 2015 when they prevailed 1-0 at Jurong East.