Singapore Premier League • April 23, 2019
Singapore Premier League Week 8: Preview
SINGAPORE, 23 APRIL 2019 – A titanic clash between Hougang United and Albirex Niigata await us in midweek, while Home United return to action as they host Geylang International. Tampines Rovers are aiming to get back on track against Warriors FC, while the Young Lions face a stiff task away to leaders Brunei DPMM.
Home vs Geylang | 24 April | 7.45 PM | Bishan | fas.org.sg/live1
Team news: Off the back of a thumping by Hougang in their last game, Geylang are looking to bounce back against a Home side that had a bye in the previous round. Shahril Ishak is an injury doubt for the hosts, who will be helmed by interim head coach Noh Rahman after the club parted ways with Saswadimata Dasuki last week.
– Home have won their last six encounters against Geylang, outscoring them 16-4.
– Hafiz Nor has three goals in his last three games against Geylang.
– Home are the only side yet to score from a set-piece this season.
– Geylang have conceded a league-worst five headed goals this season.
Warriors vs Tampines | 24 April | 7.45 PM | Jurong East | fas.org.sg/live2
Team news: Bottom side Warriors face a tough ask to get their first points of the season against Tampines, though the visitors have not been in the best form themselves. Poh Yi Feng returns from suspension for the hosts.
– Warriors are looking to avoid a 10th straight defeat in all competitions.
– Warriors have beaten Tampines in their last two encounters.
– Jonathan Behe has scored in each of his last two appearances against Tampines (four goals).
– Tampines are hunting a first league win in four games.
– Zehrudin Mehmedović has scored twice as a substitute, the joint-most in the league.
– Khairul Amri has scored in each of his last two appearances against Warriors (two goals).
Hougang vs Albirex | 24 April | 7.45 PM | Jalan Besar | mycujoo
Team news: Iqbal Hussain is out for Hougang with a hamstring injury, while Noor Akid Nordin should remain sidelined for Albirex. The visitors do have Zamani Zamri back from international duty.
– Hougang are hunting a third straight league win for the first time since June 2014.
– Zulfahmi Arifin has provided three assists from set-pieces, the most by any player in the league.
– Albirex have won all of their three games this season by 2-1 score-lines.
– All six Albirex goals this season have come from five different players.
– Albirex have scored two injury-time winning goals this season; no other team has scored even one.
DPMM vs Young Lions | 24 April | 8.15 PM | Hassanal Bolkiah | mycujoo
Team news: Shah Razen Said could return for DPMM after missing their last game due to injury as Adrian Pennock’s men look to maintain their unbeaten run. Zharfan Rohaizad remains sidelined for the visitors.
– This will be the 20th encounter between both sides; Young Lions have not won any of the previous 19.
– DPMM will break their club record for most consecutive home wins (six) if they win this.
– DPMM are seeking a fourth consecutive win for the first time since September 2016.
– DPMM have scored at least two goals in each of their last seven home league games.
– DPMM striker Andrei Varankou leads both the goal-scoring and assist charts (10 and five respectively).