News Singapore Premier League • October 29, 2020
Singapore Premier League Week 7: Preview
Tomoyuki Doi has scored in three successive games for unbeaten Albirex.
SINGAPORE, 29 OCTOBER 2020 – A blockbuster awaits in the AIA Singapore Premier League (SPL) this week with Tampines Rovers facing off against unbeaten Albirex Niigata (S). Meanwhile, the Lion City Sailors host rejuvenated Young Lions and Hougang United visit win-less Tanjong Pagar United to round up the action. All LIVE on our Facebook page!
Can well-rested Stags take down unbeaten White Swans?
Tampines Rovers vs Albirex Niigata (S) | 31 Oct | 5.30pm | Our Tampines Hub | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Jordan Webb and company will hope to return to action with victory this week.
Team news: Team captain Yasir Hanapi is suspended, but Tampines head coach Gavin Lee will be happy to welcome back Serbian playmaker Zehrudin Mehmedović, who missed the 2-1 defeat to Hougang United two weeks ago due to dengue fever.
As for Albirex, young Singaporean midfielder Iman Hakim continues to be a doubt after missing the last two games due to a knee problem.
- Tampines are unbeaten against Albirex in the last two encounters at OTH after losing the first two in all competitions since moving to the facility in July 2017.
- Tampines have never lost successive games at OTH.
- Ten out of 15 Albirex’s goals so far have been scored in the second half.
- Tampines’ Kyoga Nakamura will face the side that he captained last season.
- Tampines’ Webb is a hat-trick away from reaching 100 SPL goals.
- Albirex’s Reo Nishiguchi has the chance to score in the first six games of the season since Stipe Plazibat did so for Home United in 2017.
A must-win for title-chasing Sailors
Lion City Sailors vs Young Lions | 1 Nov | 5.30pm | Bishan | Singtel Ch 112, StarHub Ch 201
Shahrulnizam Mazlan scored the winner in the Young Lions’ previous match.
Team news: Sailors’ key midfielder Shahdan Sulaiman missed last week’s 3-2 defeat to Albirex through injury, but should recover in time to feature. Experienced defender Abdil Qaiyyim should also be available despite coming off early due to muscle cramps, while Shahril Ishak could find himself back on the bench after not making the last matchday squad.
As for the Young Lions, midfielder Harhys Stewart is hopeful of returning to the starting eleven after sitting out last week’s 2-1 win over Tanjong Pagar United due to injury.
- Sailors’ Saifullah Akbar, Naqiuddin Eunos and Haiqal Pashia are in line to face the club that they represented in 2019.
- Saifullah scored on his last visit to Bishan as an opposing player in September 2019, helping the Young Lions to a handsome 3-0 victory over Home United.
- Stipe Plazibat has scored 11 goals against Young Lions since 2016, including a hat-trick to help previous employers Hougang United to a 4-1 victory earlier this year.
Can Shawal fire Cheetahs to victory?
Tanjong Pagar United vs Hougang United | 1 Nov | 5.30pm | Jurong East | Singtel Ch 111, StarHub Ch 202
Hougang United will aim to pile on the misery for win-less Tanjong Pagar.
Team news: Tanjong Pagar coach Hasrin Jailani will be delighted to welcome back defender Delwinder Singh, who missed the last two games through suspension, while captain Faritz Hameed is also likely to feature after injury forced him to miss last Sunday’s defeat to Young Lions.
Brazilian hotshot Luiz Junior is also primed to start after being eased back with two substitute appearances and netting his first SPL goal the last time out.
It is not so positive on the Hougang front. Striker Sahil Suhaimi is ruled out for the season due to an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury while midfielder M. Anumanthan is also a doubt due to a meniscus problem. Shawal Anuar is likely to lead the line as they target a second straight victory.
- Hougang are unbeaten in the last three league encounters.
- Tanjong Pagar last defeated Hougang in a 1-0 win at Queenstown in July 2013.
- Tanjong Pagar are targeting their first win since defeating Harimau Muda B 5-0 in October 2014.
- Delwinder, Raihan Rahman and Ignatius Ang could feature against their former employers.