News • May 6, 2016

Suto’s Late Goal Salvages A Point For Warriors


Written by: Sebastian Lim

Marijan Suto netted a last-gasp equaliser as Warriors FC drew 1-1 with Brunei DPMM at the Choa Chu Kang Stadium on Thursday evening.

The hosts were staring at a fourth straight defeat in the Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League, but the Warriors debutant struck with a minute left on the clock to steal a valuable point for his side after Paulo Sergio had opened the scoring for the defending champions.

It was Warriors who dominated opening exchanges and they had a penalty call turned down after just seven minutes into the game.

Two minutes later, Suto set up Jonathan Behe nicely for a shot but the latter fired over from close range with only Wardun to beat.

The tide then swung in favour of the Bruneians as they peppered shots at the Warriors goal but were unable to find a way past Warriors’ custodian Zainol Gulam who was deputising for the suspended Yazid Yasin.

An unmarked Sergio glanced a header wide in the 16th minute before his fierce drive on 23rd minute was parried by Zainol.

Barely a minute later, Zainol had to stretch to push away a shot from Azwan Ali before tipping away Rafael Ramazotti’s header from a corner.

Zainol then produced arguably his best save of the game on the half-hour mark, excellently denying Azwan Salleh with his outstretched foot.

The hosts could have gotten the breakthrough just before the break had they been more clinical.

In the 39th minute, Hafiz Nor raced clear down the left before setting up Behe but the French forward somehow fired straight into the arms of Wardun instead.

The deadlock was finally broken 15 minutes after the restart when Ramazotti laid the ball perfectly for Sergio who rounded Zainol before slamming the ball home into an empty net.

The goal sparked the Warriors into life as they went in search of a response.

Prime League striker Suto could have made it 1-1 with a fierce shot on the turn, but saw his effort come off the bar in the 69th minute.

The woodwork then came to the rescue of DPMM again nine minutes from time as Poh Yi Feng hit a shot against the post from three yards out after Suto’s shot was deflected into his path.

With the clock ticking down, DPMM thought they were on their way to celebrate their first away victory this season, but 19-year-old Suto had other ideas as he got onto the end of superb cross from substitute Hafiz Rahim to send a header into the bottom right corner.

The visitors nearly stole a late winner at the death but Ramazotti somehow prodded narrowly over after being picked out by Sergio as both sides settled for a point each.

Warriors FC coach Jorg Steinebrunner: “Overall, I thought it was a good and entertaining game and I both teams never took the foot off the pedal. The players looked engaged in the last couple of minutes and credit to the boys, they improved mentally.

“I thought it’s a decent debut for Marijan but of course there’s always room for improvement.”

Brunei DPMM coach Steve Kean: “It was a tough result to take. We had so many chances to kill the game, but we didn’t take them and the game should have ended even before the equaliser.

“We were nervous towards the end and that invited unneeded pressure onto us.”

Warriors FC: Zainol Gulam (GK), Ismail Yunos (Fazli Jaffar 60’), Hafiz Osman, Kento Fukuda, Zulfadli Zainal (C), Ridhuan Muhammad (Hafiz Rahim 74’), Poh Yi Feng, Syaqir Sulaiman (Hafiz Sulaiman 85’), Hafiz Nor, Marijan Suto, Jonathan Behe

Brunei DPMM: Wardun Yussof (GK), Helmi Zambin, Yura Indera Putera, Brian Mclean, Najib Tarif, Maududi Kasmi, Rosmin Kamis (C), Azwan Salleh,  Azwan Ali Rahman (Shahrazen Said 90’), Paulo Sergio, Rafael Ramazotti