Singapore Premier League • February 13, 2019
Ten things to know about the Community Shield!
Tampines, who have won a record four Shield titles, celebrate their 2014 win
SINGAPORE, 13 FEBRUARY 2019 – Gather round, everyone, for the 2019 Singapore Premier League (SPL) season is about to kick off!
We present ten snippets of information about the annual season opener!
- The Community Shield began life as the Charity Shield and was first played in 2008; this year is the 12th edition!
- The Shield first doubled up as the season’s opening fixture in 2014 and remained so for all subsequent editions; however, this year’s clash will revert to being a one-off exhibition.
- Seven out of nine Shield winners went on to lift the league title that year; Four went on to win the Singapore Cup in the same year. [2009 (Foreign Players vs Local Players) and 2010 (Singapore Armed Forces FC and AIK Solna shared title) not included]
- Tampines Rovers have won the Shield a record four times; those wins were achieved in consecutive fashion, also a record. The Stags have also made the most appearances (6) in the Shield.
- Albirex will equal both Tampines’ records of most triumphs and consecutive triumphs if they prevail this year.
- Home have been involved the most times (3) without winning the Shield.
- Out of the two teams this year, only two players have also participated in the first edition of the Shield: Home stalwarts Shahril Ishak and Juma’at Jantan.
- This is the eighth occasion that the Shield will be played at Jalan Besar. It has been played at three other venues in the past: Tampines Stadium, Choa Chu Kang Stadium and the National Stadium, Singapore Sports Hub.
- On only one occasion has the Shield gone to a penalty shootout: in 2008, Singapore Armed Forces FC (now Warriors FC) beat Home 5-4 after a 1-1 deadlock.
- A total of 27 goals has been scored to date in the Shield; they come from 25 different scorers, with Kengne Ludovick (Home) and Soichiro Sakamoto (Albirex) each having bagged two. Two have been own goals, while three came from the penalty spot.
More details coming your way on how you can be a part of the Community Shield and the accompanying Football Fiesta – stay tuned!