News • March 5, 2016

Warriors Clinch Long-Awaited Victory Against Young Lions


Written By: Stanley Yeo

Warriors FC achieved their first victory of their Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League campaign after handing Garena Young Lions a 2-0 defeat at Choa Chu Kang Stadium on Friday night.

Hafiz Rahim opened the scoring for the hosts on the stroke of half-time, before Jonathan Behe sealed the victory in stoppage time to ensure that his side’s first home game of the season got off on a positive note.

However, the game that could have ended up with five or six goals, if not for Young Lions debutant goalkeeper Benjamin Bertrand, who kept the scoreline respectable with a couple of fantastic saves.

The match got off to a bright start as both sides were unlucky not to score within two minutes after kick-off.

Hafiz Osman needlessly conceded possession to Hami Syahin less than a minute into the game, and the latter sent Adam Swandi through on goal. However, Adam’s shot was blocked by Poh Yi Feng.

A minute later, it was Warriors’ turn to attempt to break the deadlock when Hafiz Nor blazed down the right wing before cutting the ball back for an unmarked Nikola Rak, who saw his shot saved by Bertrand.

The hosts eventually took control of proceedings, but struggled to build anything positive against a Young Lions team which defended stoutly.

The woodwork came to the Young Lions’ rescue In the fifth minute when Hafiz Rahim’s header from Shaiful Esah’s teasing cross bounced off the frame of the goal, before Kento Fukuda sent a header from a corner straight into the arms of Bertrand.

The Frenchman then produced a brilliant one-handed save to palm away Jonathan Behe’s header at point-blank range after the latter was left unmarked in the box in the 40th minute.

There was nothing Bertrand could do however, when an inswinging corner from Rak on the stroke of half-time caused a melee in the 6-yard box and allowed Hafiz Rahim to stab the ball home.

The second period begin very much like the first, as Bertrand continued to be the busiest of the two goalkeepers.

Warriors should have doubled their lead in the 57th minute when Hafiz Nor unleashed a thunderbolt from just outside the box, but Bertrand pulled off another top-drawer save to push the ball away.

Behe subsequently sent a first-time volley wide of the mark eight minutes later after receving a pin-point cross from Shaiful down the left flank.

Warriors finally killed off the game in the second minute of the extra period when substitute Fazli Jaffar burst down more than half the length of the pitch before squaring the ball across for Behe to bundle it in.

Warriors FC coach Jorg Steinebrunner: “I would say that I am happy with the three points and the clean sheet. I think we could have scored six or seven goals and we should have.

“That is a good thing as it showed that we have created a lot of chances but we just have to make sure we finish this chances off.”

Garena Young Lions coach Patrick Hesse: “ I think that today was better than the last two games. As I have said to the players, we conceded the goal at the worst moment of the game (a minute before half time).

“They must learn that it is a very important moment in the game. Secondly, I am a little disappointed at [ our defending of] the corner. It was too easy for them.”

Warriors FC: Yazid Yasin (GK), Zulfadli Zainal (C), Syaqir Sulaiman, Kento Fukuda, Shaiful Esah ( 82’ Fazli Jaffar), Poh Yi Feng, Nikola Rak, Hafiz Nor ( 73’ Ignatius Ang), Hafiz Osman, Hafiz Rahim(64’ Emeric Ong), Jonathan Behe

Garena Young Lions: Benjamin Bertrand (GK), Ammirul Emmran, Fareez Farhan (64’ Muhd Zulqarnaen), Irfan Asyraf, Hami Syahin , Zulfadhmi Suzliman, Adam Swandi, Gareth Low (78’ Muhelmy Suhaimi), Firdaus Kasman (C), Taufiq Muqminin Hossain, Muhd Rusyaidi