Singapore Premier League • October 8, 2014

Warriors Keep Title Hopes Alive With Win Over DPMM


Written by: Dwayne James

Warriors FC kept themselves in the Great Eastern Yeo’s S.League title race after a 3-2 comeback win over league leaders Brunei DPMM at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas on Tuesday night.

Nicholas Velez, Kevin McCann and Hafiz Rahim got on the scoresheet for the visitors while the duo of Roy O’Donovan and Shahrazen Said netted for the home side.

The result sees the Brunei side stuck on 46 points, with the Warriors now only two points adrift with three games remaining in the competition.

The visitors almost broke the deadlock just six minutes into the match after Shi Jiayi got at the end of a Hafiz corner only to see it go just wide of the right post.

Another opportunity came the next minute after an error in the Brunei backline allowed Velez to break away on goal, but DPMM goalkeeper Wardun Yussof  came off his line to produce a good save.

The home side almost replied immediately at the other end with Adi Said squaring the ball for Roy O’Donovan but the latter could only fire his shot over the bar.

The striker did find the back of the net in the 10th minute but was flagged for offside.

DPMM stuck their noses infront in the 22nd minute after an Azwan Ali Rahman corner landed for an unmarked O’Donovan from inside the 18-yard box, and the latter shot past Hassan Sunny in between the Warriors sticks.

The Warriors thought they had found the equaliser when Velez netted in the 40th minute but Hafsyar Farkhan was judged to have received the ball in an offside position before the pass.

However, a defensive lapse just before the stroke of half-time proved costly for DPMM.

Ismail Yunos was left with space on the left to deliver a cross into the box for Velez to tap in at the far post to make it 1-1.

It did not take long for the Warriors to find another goal after the interval.

They were given a free kick after Velez was brought down from almost 35 yards out in the 46th minute and McCann powered it over the wall and into the top right corner, leaving Wardun with no chance.

Velez almost added another for the visitors the next minute but Wardun did well to close him out before he could shoot.

O’Donovan almost answered in the 51st minute but could only watch his attempt deflected aross the face of the Warriors goal.

Warriors were awarded another freekick in the 62nd minute after skipper Rosmin Kamis was judged to have fouled Velez from 25 yards out.

Hafiz curled the ball over the wall to see it go in off the left post for a 3-1 lead.

Velez could have put the match to bed in the 66th minute but Wardun did well to deny him.

DPMM never looked like they were going to make anything out of it but they were given a lifeline in the 90th minute.

Adi Said watched his header clang off the woodwork but older brother Shahrazen pounced on the rebound, however it proved to be a mere consolation.